Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong reaction to 5mg Citalopram

Strong reaction to 5mg Citalopram

Hi all,

I have been taking 5mg Citalopram for only 2 days now. I was prescribed 10mg but I figured it would be wise to start low and work up. My plan was to take 5mg for a week and then increase to 10mg.

The thing is, I have had a very strong reaction to it. My anxiety has increased, I am very very tired, I can't concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds, and my head and body are prickling and I feel much more restless and jittery than usual.

I know that with these pills your symptoms can get worse before they get better, but is this normal, even with such a small amount?

Thanks,
    Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

Yes Gareth, I had that with a small amount. Your body just needs to adjust to it. I was prescribed 2mg of diazapam 3 times daily to help around it. After about a week or so those jittery feelings started to die down and it did me wonders when fully kicked in!

Mark

I was also one of the ones that reacted well to a small dose and only had to take 10mg. A lot of people take 20mg as the standard dose so it seems. I believe you can take up to 60mg a day. I actually know someone that's on 60mg a day!

Mark

Thanks Mark, thats very reassuring.

It's difficult trying to sit at a desk doing work while feeling like this but I will stick it out.

Tonight I'll go for a run to get rid of some of this energy. What is weird is having loads of nervous energy at the same time as being really tired!

cheers
    Gareth

Mark

If its not too personal a question... can I ask why you stopped taking the citalopram?

thanks

Hi Gareth, I also felt the same as you did when I first started on Citalopram, it was a little scary at first as my panic attacks increased loads but it did settle down a lot after a week or two and then the positive effects seemed to start to become more obvious. You kind of have to stick with it and let your brain and body work it out. The first 2 weeks of Citalopram I took off work and watched telly and was gentle on myself.

Gareth

I had a much stronger reaction to citalopram than you and was on a really low dose. Hang in there, it will settle down with time and you will feel so much better.

Jules

Jules

Hi Gareth,
    I am on citalopram 10mg and had exactly the same side effects you are talking about, they increased my anxiety a lot in the first 2 weeks but i decided to carry on and keep going with them and they really turned me around, the two weeks of heightened anxiety was worth it in the long run definatley.
    let us know how you get on
    take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Hi Gareth,

Yes, you've described it perfectly! You have a feeling of fatigue and at the same time a listless energy! That is perfectly normal and I'm certain it will settle down. I know what you mean about finding it hard to sit still, it's a strange feeling to go through but it does pass.

And of course you can ask! I stopped taking them after about 2 years as I felt really well! I came off them as slowly as I could and even moved onto liquid at the end. I suffered absolutely no bad after affects due to coming off it so slowly (over 3 months instead of 1!).

Best Wishes,

Mark

I am currently on 20mg of citropram and have been on them for 3 weeks and although seem to be over the nasty side effects am still having a few such as sweaty hands, burning sensations, dry mouth etc. but I am not feeling that great yet - although a lot of people have said they had felt better in 1-2 weeks which is what it says on the packet - how long do you think I should leave it before I go back to the docs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information