Thread: does anyone else's thoughts feel real

does anyone else's thoughts feel real

just wondered whether i am the only one who thinks she would carry out the thoughts she has. it often feels real like i will do the things that go through my head even though i dont want.

i keep thinking i have got tourettes or summit and i wont be able to control my movements and will do those things i think. there have been times where i have felt the urge to do it even though i dont want to - is this normal for ocd??

Re: does anyone else's thoughts feel real

hi there,

Unfortunately the urges that you are having ARE totally normal for OCD sufferers, and I know just how terryfying that they can be! The good thing is though that you know that you dont want to carry them out, and therefore you wont.

Imagine your OCD as a bully. It feeds off of your fears, the more scared you are and the more you run away, the more it "enjoys" attacking you. If, however you stand up to it, it doesnt know how to hurt you anymore. So basically, if you allow these thoughts/ urges to enter your head, and then remind yourself, that it is just your ocd, not you, It will start to become easier to deal with. You maybe thinking that this is impossible when you are so scared, but with practice and time it helps.

Feel free to pm me, I've been there!

Dannii x

Definitely Louise! Sometimes I have crazy impulses to act out my harm thoughts, even though I know it would have awful consequences. I know how scary it can be to feel like you're about to do it. It feels as if you've finally taken the plunge off the deep end. You're finally crazy! I worry about so much, and in the end that is all it is -- worry! I have always had a plan if things got so heavy that I'd want to act them out: Call 911 (or whatever emergency service you have in the U.K.) and tell them you're suicidal. That'll get you three days in the psych ward, and a "Why the hell am I in here?" attitude... Sounds silly, but it shuts the thoughts up for a bit.

"When the rain is blowing in your face,
    and the whole world is on your case.
    I would offer you a warm embrace...
    To make you feel my love"

hi, i know where you are coming from and suffered with those irrational thoughts for a length of time, to the extent that i tried to avoid family who were closest to me, this was the worst thing i could have done, i now accept the thoughts, they have virtually gone now and i dont worry too much when i do get the odd one, take care, damo

Thread Information