Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming off citalopram

Unhappy Coming off citalopram

I've been on citalopram 20mg for 8 months and for the past month have gone down to taking a tablet every other day. Tonight is meant to be my last tablet but I'm anxious about potential side effects. I've been continuously tired for the past month since I've reduced the dosage (I've tried everything from 6 to 12 hours sleep but it makes no difference!) this is quite similar to when I started the medication, I've also been yawning lots again.

I can't afford to have any time off work ill as I've only been in my job 5 months and triggered a first stage warning because I had an accident and then a few weeks later got a very bad viral infection. As I'm still in my trial period any more time off will count against me being made permanent.

The citalopram has worked amazingly. It is the first time I've taken A/D's as my last huge breakdown was at uni and I chose to take time out and work through it without meds. This time the combination of a depressive episode and being bullied by my boss (hence the new job) was too much! I remember how I felt before going on it and am worried about the impact of stopping now. I am desperate to come off it as I don't want to rely on it and I don't like the side effect of gaining weight. On the other hand I'm living in a new place, making friends and I'm worried that I'm going to find it very difficult without the meds.

What are other peoples experiences of coming off citalopram? Did you have any side effects? How did you feel emotionally? Would you have done anything differently?

Thanks for listening x x x

Re: Coming off citalopram

bcr
    I have completed my 2nd term on Citalopram. I weaned myself 20 - 10 - 5mg and then stopped. All fine for 7 - 10 days then some very strange rollercoaster feelings, much like the side-effects of going on them. Still got background anxiety at the moment (10 days since this started) but its managable. I can see why people have trouble coming off - the temptation is to go back on the things. So in short I don't know at the moment how long this stage lasts* but I can only recommend being positive, make a decision and go with it. Try not to bounce between taking and not.

Bob

* - I have posted elsewhere asking for 'post Citalopram' advice buty got no replies

Hi I came off them last year with no problems at all. No side effects whatsoever. I tapered down over 3 months from 30mg. Hang in there you will be able to do it. And when you do just try to learn some relaxation techniques and surround yourself with friends and people you love xx

[quote=bcr;509567]
    my last huge breakdown was at uni and I chose to take time out and work through it without meds. This time the combination of a depressive episode and being bullied by my boss (hence the new job) was too much! I remember how I felt before going on it and am worried about the impact of stopping now. I am desperate to come off it as I don't want to rely on it and I don't like the side effect of gaining weight. On the other hand I'm living in a new place, making friends and I'm worried that I'm going to find it very difficult without the meds.

BCR, I really feel for you. Like you, I had a huge breakdown at uni and I also had to take time out. I was prescribed 40mg and it really helped and I am finally starting to feel better, so much so that I've reduced my dose to 20mg. I've been taking the reduced dose for four days now and I'm experiencing slight mania, difficulty in sleeping and irritability. I control these symptoms by exercise, writing down my thoughts, feelings and symptoms and talking to a trusted family member. I really reccommend these tips, they do work. Drinking cammomile tea helps, as well. You WON'T go back to the way you were before. Worrying about it will cause you to be axious, so you've got to be DETERMINED to stay stable. You can do it!

Good luck and let me know how it goes

X x

I have not taken citalopram for eighteen months and I have managed because I have a cbt counsellor. Counselling has made the difference it has helped me cope with many problems without medication. I experienced withdrawal effects mainly abdominal pains etc not sleeping but they lasted a couple of weeks each time I reduced the dosage. We all need help but we do not need so much medication it is just a cheap way for the nhs to deal with people. Oh bye the way I had to pay for counselling if you really want it you can afford it

Thanks everyone.

I'd planned to come of it after six months, but at that point had a severe viral infection that lasted a month so I waited until I got over that. I decided on a date to stop a month ago but I think I'm going to go down to 10mg for the next week just to ease myself down again. I'm having a really bad time of it at the moment with a work situation that has caused my anxiety about being bullied to rise up again. I'm seeing an NHS counsellor at the moment and should have another 4 sessions so I'm going to use that to work through the anxiety issues.

I'd almost forgotten how the anxiety feels and this week it has just been getting worse. I do want to come of the citalopram but I'm worried at the moment that I'm starting to feel low and depressed and the current work situation isn't helping.

First off, DON'T WORRY. I know it's hard not to, but thinking about it will only trigger anxiety. Keep busy. Call/meet up with close friends and family. Read. Go swimming. The advantage of these as well is that they release endorphins so not only will doing them distract you, but you'll feel slightly happier as well. Eat a healthy diet and avoid binge drinking but enjoy a glass of red wine or two.

I control these symptoms by exercise, writing down my thoughts, feelings and symptoms and talking to a trusted family member. I really reccommend these tips, they do work.
    Excellent advice.

Good luck coming off citalopram. It might be helpful to cut your tablet down slightly for each dose so you wean off it more slowly, which should help to reduce or delay any potential withdrawal effects.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thanks everyone... I went down from 20mg every other day to 10mg every other day from yesterday and I am absolutely exhausted. We had a family party today but I had to go to sleep after lunch as I couldn't stay awake. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last? Am I going to be a zombie for the next month???

I came down from 20mg to 10mg over a period of a few moths with no problems, alternating 20mg with 10mg. However, since April been alternating 10mg with 5mg and started to feel rough, had a cold and two lots of sinusitis which made me low anyway then started to get the 'chatterbox' back in my head and started to have 'low' days and then the throat tension/globus hystericus and sore throat has come back.
    Have increased my back to 10mg but the anxiety (racing heart especially in the night and morning) and tummy side effects are back. I hope these will pass as I want to get back to feeling normal again soon - don't like having the anxiety and panic back.

This too will pass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information