Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all those worried about swine flu right now...

Smile For all those worried about swine flu right now...

Im really getting annoyed at the media coverage. Il point out the reasons this virus CANNOT become another 1918 style mass killer.

1. The basic one, a virus will only evolve/mutate when it deems it necessary to increase its transfer rate, and guaruntee its survival. Right now its doing a 99 percent perfect job of both of those, it has no need to evolve. Its highly contageous, and is being passed around perfectly.

2. A very deadly virus gives itself a problem. It kills the host. If the virus kills the host, it doesnt infect as many people, so its counter productive to the virus to mutate into this form.

3. In 2005, a team of scientists from Mount Sinai medical school rebuilt the 1918 influenza strain using fragments of old lung tissue from the victims of that strain. It was noted this is such a rare occurence, once in a 10 millenia. And that was the very worst a flu virus can get. Even faced with that virus again, nowhere near that number would die. After world war 2, poverty was rife, awful sanitary conditions, zero anti virals etc.... and squalid conditions meant that the virus passed through the very unhealthy population in comparison with todays people, incredibly quickly and violently. If that strain ever made another pass at us, the death count would be at least three quarters less than it was then. At least.

4. Flu chromosomes are quite simple — eight short strands of RNA that issue the genetic code for a grand total of 11 proteins. They break apart in a jumble inside cells they infect, and then they reassemble, picking up random bits of other flus, which makes the results unpredictable. The swine flu strain lacks several genes known to increase lethality, including those that code for two proteins known as PB1-F2 and NS-1, and one that codes for a tongue-twister called the polybasic hemagglutinin cleavage site.
    PB1-F2 appears to weaken the protective membrane of the energy-producing mitochondria in an infected cell, ultimately killing the cell. Specifically, it attacks dendritic cells, the sentinels of the immune system. Its lethality could be accidental — a protein good at killing sentries might just go on killing other cells once inside the fort. All pandemic flus, including those of the Spanish, Hong Kong and Asian flus, make PB1-F2. So does the H5N1 bird flu. The current swine strain does not. The NS-1 protein also maims the immune response by blocking interferon, an antiviral protein made by cells. Hence the fact there are NO cytokine storms in any of the victims.

Basically.... This virus cannot even mutate into something as bad as the hong kong or asian flu, let alone the spanish influenza of 1918! Worst case scenario? It becomes resistant to tamiflu, which wouldnt be great, but since hardly anyone in the US is being given tamiflu out of the several million suspected cases they have had already, with only 30 deaths or so, most in previously ill people, its really nothing to be incredibly worried about. Right now its weaker than regular seasonal flu. And scientists cant see it getting any worse, it pretty much cant. The media have made the biggest crisis out of this as they can, and im sick of hearing two bit "experts" instead of the scientists who actually know about the virus.

Just my 2 cents, but hopefully it will reassure some of you.

Oh and.... just for kicks....

Lets try and keep things in perspective its not a serious illness. Promise
    Last edited by Skyline On Fire; 12-06-09 at 19:36. Reason: Adding an image.

Re: For all those worried about swine flu right now...

I just try not to think about the swineflu...and being honest ive got other things on my mind more important. But thanks for that post its nice to see someone being level headed and it really puts it into perspective.
    Thanks for that.
    Take care
    xxx

That certainly puts things into perspective. Surprisingly for me (and my relatives and close freinds!) I havent been that worried about it and try and not listen or read the news when it comes on.

Thanks for that though nice to see it clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Donski View Post
    That certainly puts things into perspective. Surprisingly for me (and my relatives and close freinds!) I havent been that worried about it and try and not listen or read the news when it comes on.

Thanks for that though nice to see it clearly
    Good to hear, keep that attitude. Nothing to worry about

thanks for that skyline it helped me loads.
    was that your comment i read on fergus walshs blog on the bbc website? if so i thought it was very well written.xx

Just found this post helped alot ! thank you

Nice post, very interesting and it will reassure many people who are currently worried about Swine Flu.

Nice one, Skyline.

Chrissy xx

~"...to reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people :
    Yes, We Can!!!! ~

Wolfieeeeee

Excellent. I have been fuming also about the pandemic since it started. Whatever next, a pandemic of the common cold because 225 people catch it worldwide?
    The media have a LOT to answer for..
    Good work on bringing things into perspective.

Do you remember back in what was it 1996 when BSE become the huge topic of worry and that everybody was going to develop nvCJD and by 2005 half the population was going to be dead from it... hmm.. look what happened there, you never hear anything anymore about it now. As has been said, the Media has made so much of it than it should be.

Where did you get all this info from and is it good?

I was near a suspected case at the weekend, only found out today, and I'm quite worried. More from my GF who is 20 weeks pregnant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information