Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and alcohol

Anxiety and alcohol

Just wanted your opinion on this subject.

I've read a couple of posts where people say there anxiety diminished after stopping drinking alcohol. Now I'd agree that after a heavy night my anxiety is far worse than normal but then I'm kind of expecting it to be so I find it relatively easy to just except it, chill out for the day and read a good book or something.

What I'm more interested in is if people think drinking any alcohol at all causes anxiety. I pretty much always have a couple of beers (or glasses of wine) with my evening meal and I've been thinking today that this may not be such a good idea.

I'd welcome your thoughts on this 'cos I'm thinking of perhaps knocking all drink on the head for a week and see how I get on.

When I was acute I stopped all alcohol, caffiene and most pure sugars for 3 months then re introduced them slowly to no problems at all.

When our nervous systems are under pressure and pumping gallons of adrenalin it has a knock on effect to the endocrine system that deals with insulin and the liver enzymes that deal with alcohol.

alcohol and panic-do they mix?
    Alcohol
    Alcohol and medication
    MEDS AND ALCOHOL
    PTSD and Alcohol (UPDATE)
    Alcohol?
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/lounge/topic.asp?TOPIC ID=5126

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Parker,
    Knocking the alcohol on the head for a week wont hurt, and if it makes your anxiety settle then all well and good if it doesnt at least you tried that option.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Hi Parker

I have quite a stressful job and quite often enjoy a couple of glasses of wine in the evening to help me unwind that i find causes me no extra anxiety than normal. i do agree that after a bit of a heavy night i am almost certainly more anxious but like you say, i think as long as you dont exceed the recommended limit of 14-21 units (max) per week (for women) it wont cause any problems. but thats just in my experience and maybe others are affected differently.

Michelle

sorry parker

i assumed you were a women as i didnt look at your profile! im not sure what the mens weekly limit is but i know its more for a man.

Michelle.

hi Parker,

I don't drink at all but that's just me being paranoid. A few drinks won't hurt you..

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

hi parker,
    i found i couldn't drink at all once i started having panic attacks. now that i can control them better, i can have a glass of wine with my meals but that's about it.
    i think that whatever your situation, allowing yourself a week off booze is a good idea, just to give your body the chance to detox.
    henri

I think having a week of is a great idea then you can judge how you feel. I still rely on wine to help me sleep and make me feel better but now think it has become more of a habit that actually needing it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Hi Parker

I find that after a night of too much drink I feel really anxious. I try to not drink in the week when I have work the next day. But save it until the weekend so that I know that if I feel anxious then at least I am at home and can just relax.

I had too much on Saturday and felt very anxious on Sunday and even yesterday. But I know I drank more than I usually do.

If I have a few glasses of wine I am ok but any more than that then I tend to feel anxious.

See how you go knocking it on the head for a week. Then if you do want to start again just don't overdo it.

Take care

Emma xx

Hi Parker,

For me its a question of balance.

Just a few drinks say 2/3 now and again is great and really does relax me, if I have too many then I don't like the slightly out of control feeling I get, lus too many and then my anxiety is bad the next day.

Each to his own on this one I think.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information