Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant and worried about Swine flu

Pregnant and worried about Swine flu

Hi everyone,

We have had our first 3 deaths this week in Australia from Swine flu.

We have been advised here that pregnant woman are one of the ones at most risk of contracting it. Also if you are over weight and have repiritory problems (which I am, and I get Asthma sometimes)

I am terrified now of getting it. Getting the flu itself doesn't worry me, but dying from it does.

I also have two little ones that I need to keep safe from it. I don't know why I am writing this - just had to get it out in the open.

Thanks for reading!
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Re: Pregnant and worried about Swine flu

Hi Sam

We have loads of threads about this with loads of advice etc so please have a search for them and have a read and it will reassure you.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I did and there was nothing about being pregnant
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

The advice is the same though - hand washing etc etc.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I just read the leaflet we got issued and it does not mention increased risk for pregnant women - where did you hear this?

The population is over 21,007,310

Ok 3 people died and how many got killed by a car last week or died of cancer etc etc.

I am trying to make you see that statistically it so so so minor!

Thanks Nicola.

I got it from the WHO site here:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

Without question, pregnant women are at increased risk of complications. This heightened risk takes on added importance for a virus, like this one, that preferentially infects younger age groups.
    And all the media - experts in Australia have put Pregnant woman as high risk. Just what someone pregnant with HA wants to hear
    ~Dr Seuss~

Did you not read this bit though...

First, more than 99% of maternal deaths, which are a marker of poor quality care during pregnancy and childbirth, occurs in the developing world.

Second, around 85% of the burden of chronic diseases is concentrated in low- and middle-income countries.

Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh but I am trying to make you realise how unlikely it is you will get it and even then it is easily cured with drugs.

Hi Samantha! I am from Nova Scotia, canada. i am so so so worried about the h1n1 too :( a friend of mone recently got it, and she has a 3 year old. It is now in our very very small community, and i work at a local store. I am handling money constantly, and It is so scary! I have a 4 year old son. I'm scared of dying from it as well. It's giving me panic attacks :( I just wanted to let you know that i feel your pain sweetheart.
    They are right statistically thou, but it just doesnt seem to make me feel any better either:(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information