Thread: Lithium shakes/hot weather

Lithium shakes/hot weather

I have been experiencing the 'shakes' from I guess my lithium dose today. I take 1,000mg at night. It has been exceptionally warm here in Essex with thunder and lightening tonight. Today I have had a concert so I have been rehearsing this afternoon and concert this evening. I have been trying to keep my fluids up and I guess that has not been enough. I have had this side effect before and I know it isn't a good sign. Are there any more NMP folk who have had this side effect recently? I would be interested to hear from anybody else who is on lithium and struggling with their medication at the moment. I feel fine apart from the shakes. I have a routine appointment on Wednesday with my GP. As I am at home tomorrow I will try to up my fluids then. Until then best wishes to all.

Re: Lithium shakes/hot weather

I've had a lousy day today headache, pain in the neck, stomach upset and general malaise. I can't blame it all on the lithium. The shakes have gone hopefully I will feel better tomorrow.

I'm just updating my thread. It is not so much the shakes but I have experienced quite a bad pain in my kidneys last Sunday. I recognised this as not taking in enough fluid. I drank a pint of water immediately and then elderflower cordial throughout the afternoon. This is a problem that I worry about with taking lithium - damage to the kidneys. I have experienced headaches which I'm sure are lithium related. They respond to paracetamol. I felt unwell on Sunday morning and that was probably due to lack of fluid on Saturday because of the heat and I was performing in a concert. I had a headache and felt sick. I know what I need to do ie take on more fluid in the hot weather especially as I am taking lithium. Does Anyone else find this? EJ

Hi EJ, I don't take lithium, I take Lamotrigine instead. but do know that you must keep your fluid intake up whilst you are taking Lithium and it will be hard during this hot weather. It is probably best if you went to see your Dr for a blood test as your Lithium level maybe elevated.

Take care Di x

Thread Information