Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anxiety day after drinking alcohol

Re: anxiety day after drinking alcohol

well i'm only 21 and have always just thought it's a phase and something everyone does at this point of my life, this year has been very heavy though, i think i drink now to escape my thoughts and its the only thing that makes me feel normal again.

Do you think you could go a day without drinking because its not really about how much you drink, its if you can't do with out it x

there have been months where ive not had a day off drinking or maybe only one, i went through a stage of drinking on my own everynight because i couldnt sleep, but i try my hardest not to drink alone. i am blessed with many friends but this just means meetings over booze with various people!

Aww well if it does become a problem just make sure you speak to some one x

I feel more anxious after drinking. I had a few glasses of wine last night, went to bed at 3 and got up at 9. Been feeling very anxious today. My mouth is really dry and feel like I have a lump in my throat. I also feel at times that I am not quite there if that makes sense.

Also lately not just day after a drink but quite alot I feel like I am going to stop breathing and have to really catch my breath especially when I am talking too. I hate it but when I try to explain this to people they think I am just making it up!!!

Does anyone else get this? xxx

I have this really bad... it was only through a google search in total desperation today that with relief, I found this site and other people who had it too. I'm sure it never used to be like this. When I was at uni, I was the eternal party girl. I used to mischeviously tell the story of when I got taken home in an ambulance, after passing out in the street and being dragged into some kind souls dorrway while my friends tried to revive me. It carried on for years and after uni I lived with a girl who also had a bottle of wine every night. I wasn't as bad as when I was a student though, although I was desperately unhappy. I went to the doctor eventually in total torment and was prescribed citalopram. I was bad at taking it though, used to forget and still drink sometimes which I don't think you are supposed to.

Anyway, I just remember going through hell and being miserably curled up in my bed after work every day wishing it would all go away and wondering how I could end it. About 9 months or so of this passed and then I had a phone call which just changed everything, my life as I knew it. My brother had killed himself. From that point on I think i just blindly drank every day. I really didn't know what else to do and I just had to numb it. Make it all stop spinning. Weirdly, I felt like I was coping because evryone would say to me 'God you are so strong' etc etc. I wouldn't cry, just kind of stalwartly go on and grit my teeth but also drink.

Anyway, cut to a few years later and I'm still drinking all the time. I gte in from work and think about going for a run, or doing something but instead I end up lonely and drinking. Only the paranoia has got beyond all realms of my control. Usually I drink alone. But on the rare occasion I see people, I end up worrying so much that i literally feel sick the next day. I panic in social situations unless I have a drink in my hand. I finish my drink the quickest and I have to have another. Today I burst into tears whilst sitting in a sunny park. It was the first release I've had in ages, because I truly felt like I was cracking up. Like it's got too dark and I can't see the light switch.

Anyway, it feels kinda calming reading all your stories on here. Thank you for that. I don't know what to do anymore, or why I behave the way I do. It's like I don't trust anyone and just feel desperately alone. I'm sure the paranoia never used to be there the next day after boozing but these days it is AWFUL! Like shaky and thinking of death and just really bloody rotten. Why would this come on like this in the last year or so but not before?

Anyway, thanks everyone, I guess we're all searching for the light! I think it is out there, I dearly hope so anyway.

Louise

Had this really badly today after a heavy all dayer yesterday. The derealisation and chest pains make me think the heart is failing. After experiencing this for a few years now i think it comes down to dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and bad sleep (alcohol stops you rem sleeping). Its either that or an onset of some kind 0f intolerence.

A dyorialyte, a banana and lots of water usually quickens the recovery. If i sleep longer than 8 hours i can sometimes bypass it. If i wake up early, it'susually game over and i panic the entire day.

I literally go into hiding for a week after drinking. My anxiety goes sky high! Normal for us I think!

This thread was started in 2009 but it shows along with hundreds of other threads, just how common the negative effects of anxiety and alcohol can be.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    This thread was started in 2009 but it shows along with hundreds of other threads, just how common the negative effects of anxiety and alcohol can be.

Positive thoughts
    Well it shows how some people have reported negative effects. It's a very small thread for 6 years though.

There are ones for caffeine too. That reminds me, we must all start threads about the tea & coffee we drank without a problem.

How about all those ones on the Meds board about meds making things worse? But then we have a load of people they have also helped.

Confirmation Bias. Only looking for evidence to confirm a belief without considering evidence that opposes it. A common failing that anyone conducted a study or experiment has to cover off or they fail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information