Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: co-codamol addiction for stomach problems:o(

co-codamol addiction for stomach problems:o(

Hiya
    Was just wondering if anyone else has had a co-codamol addiction and if so how u got over it? I was prescribed dihydrocodeine for 4 yrs then for "IBS" (which turned out to be a self-diagnosed wheat and dairy intolerence!!!) then later when i told the dr i was concerned about becoming addicted to them he just took me straight off them! anyway the stomach pain was still there along with loads of other symptoms including rapid weight loss and being sick so the dr told me to take cocodamol which ive now been on for years. ive been refused tests on NHS as apparantly because im Emetophobic i need to just see a psychiatrist not a gastroenterologist!!! anyway i really want to come off the co-codamol now and am going to try homeopathy for my stomach. I take between 2 and 10 a day depending on the pain. and am able to cut down to 2 a day but when i go to 1 a day or stop completely i get chronic diarrhea and mood swings so its a no win situation! Any advice would be greatfully receieved!!!

Re: co-codamol addiction for stomach problems:o(

These are very hard to come off,and should be done very slowly,I have never heard of a Dr perscriblng Dehydracodeine for IBS .For a start it would cause you to suffer worse with ibs symptoms ie constipation .The cocodamol contains paracetamol and taken constantly can be bad for the liver.You were addicted after weeks of taking them ,no wonder you have had a bad time coming off them.Firstly I would see about changing your Dr and seeing someone who will give you a correct withdrawal program to get off them, How many on average have you been taking each day the last couple of weeks? You can get off these on your own but you will have to be very determined.Find your average dose and stick with it for a couple of weeks..if you are stable reduce by 1/2 a tablet for another 2-3 weeks if you are stable continue ,The nearer you get to the last1/2 tab will be harder.You will probably find it harder to get off that than anything.You will need to eat sensibly ,healthy food and vit supplements.Also drink plenty of water.The drug comes out in your urine and sweat.I wish you luck Feel free to pm me if I can help you.My husband was addicted to dehydracodein years ago due to pain. I have seen what its like .All the best Sue x

Thanks for replying Sue and for the good advice. The GP prescribed them as i had constant pain and diaorrhea! I dont generally have an average dose but i always take two when i wake up and two before bed then the rest is pain dependent and can be up to 10 a day.
    I took 3 at 2am yesterday morning as was in alot of pain they worked and i didnt take anymore coz i didnt need to but then i only had 1 left coz i hadnt wanted to buy anymore! Anyhow it got to midnight and i couldnt sleep and had restless legs - my (starting withdrawl symptoms) so i took half a one and fell asleep half hr later!
    Now i only have half a one coz i really dont wana buy another pack!
    I do eat very healthily as im allergic to loads and drink herbal teas and water so am hoping that will help!
    Im sorry you had to go through it with your husband,i hope hes okay now.
    Thanks again and all the best,i'll let u know how i get on!!!

Hi there, is it prescription or over-the-counter co-codamol that you take? A lot of people become addicted to both. My doctor has prescribed me co-codamol for dental pain, and I found that when I was feeling anxious taking them would help me to relax. Now I try to take them only when I am in severe pain. As Suzy-Sue said, you should not stop taking them cold turkey. You should try and gradually reduce the amount you take over several weeks so that your body can adjust. You should really talk about this with your GP. Good luck!

hiya, Thanks for your reply, its really good you only take them for pain now! im hoping i can get to that stage!
    Its over the counter co-codamol i take now. for the past 2 days ive only had 1/2 a tablet in the morning and 1/2 before bed so thats only 1 tablet a day!!! The least ive had in like 8yrs!!! my only concern is that i have been eating very little as i dont want my stomach pain to flare up but im hoping if i cut out the tablets completely maybe that will help my stomach as im sure co-codamol if not at all good for the stomach!!! x

If you dont eat much ,your bowel will have a hard job to move the food you have eaten,It will possibly cause it to go into spasm then cause pain and bloating . Have you ever tried Fibre gel ? you drink it with or after you eat ,and it bulks your stools. All the best Sue x

Hiya,that would be one to try but the dr actually told me to go on a low fibre diet but i drink fruit smoothies everyday to ensure my 5 a day! because i have a wheat intolerence i dont eat much carbs. and mainly live off salad and chips!!! also coz im Emetophobic im very careful about what i eat. But some good news i managed to persuade the GP to refer me to the Gastroenterologist! so hopefully if they can find out whats causing the stomach pain i can get it sorted minus the codeine!!!
    Only taken half a codeine so far today! i am so determined to stop taking them as ive realised i actually feel fine without several a day!!! and touch wood my stomach has been okay for past 2 days i'l prob find out it was the codeine and anxiety causing the pain lol!

Hi there, one over-the-counter co-codamol tablet only contains 8mgs of codeine which is only a very small amount. If you've managed to get down to just one or half a day, well done! I would say that you are over the worst of it now. One thing I would like to point out is that stomach pain is a classical withdrawal symptom of codeine - so it may be that your body is just adjusting to being withou codeine. Good luck and I really hope everything works out well for you!

Yes Rachel is right there.The perscription ones are the worst to get off.Well done .you seem to be nearly there.You may get a few headaches ,but these will pass.All the Best Suexx

You should NEVER EVER, take more than 4g of paracetamol in any 24 hours period (that is 8 pills of cocodamol) Paracetamol cannot be processed by the liver and it can lead to liver damage.

It is important that you do not take more than 8 pills in any 24 hour period and that you leave at least 4 hours between each dosage.

Ricard

"A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information