Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What worked for me

What worked for me

I was reading Nics note at the top of this section just now so I thought it might be helpful if I talked a bit about my experiences.

I have always been sensitive and intense. When I was at primary school, I lost a good friend due to illness and I also had a fear of picking up germs so I would try to avoid using the school toilets.

My earliest memory of OCD is from my teens. I can remember that if I had to go out, I would check everything around the house...switches, locks etc. However, I can remember I had trouble resisting checking so that in the end I became a nervous wreck in a total sweat! I just couldn't stop checking locks over and over again because I feared leaving something unlocked or switched on and getting the blame from my parents even though they told me not to worry. I knew I would "feel bad" and "guilty" if anything went wrong because of me.

At some point during the checking, I developed intrusive thoughts which would often be associated with illness and one of the thoughts would be the image of my lost friend. I was terrified of the illness he suffered from.

I can also remember that I would vomit when watching programmes about illnesses. Illnesses became a huge phobia for me.

I would also count to "safe numbers" during my checking but if someone or something interrupted me, I would have to start again but I always had the problem of intrusive thoughts to fight off too.

When I got a car, the checking just got worse and when I started work, as soon as I came home I would be washing my hands constantly until they went white with soap.

From there, I found if I made a mistake when writing, I'd have to re-write the whole page and letters had to be written "exactly" without touching lines.

When reading books, I couldn;t close the book before reading a "safe" word. When switching the TV or radio on/off, I had to hear a "safe" word. When placing objects, they had to be placed exactly without thinking an "unsafe" thought such as of illness. I couldn't touch black bags without having to wash my hands or cross roads behind black cars because I associated black with funerals. When I heard that a friend at work maybe ill, I destroyed all the books he gave me for fear of catching it off the pages he had held. When I washed, I would have to wash a "safe" number of times.

OCD really affcted me in every area you could think of where it involved doing or placing something but no one realised, not even myself, that I was suffering with OCD.

I was prescribed Seroxat but it made me feel really ill with pins and needles etc. It made my anxiety worse!

I decided the best approach was to help myself so I learned how to combat my OCD.

The things that have helped me are...

Reduce the amount amount of stress in your life. The more stress you're under, the more intense you "think" and so the more difficult OCD symptoms are to resist.

Make sure you get enough sleep. When you're tired, you feel more anxious so intrusive thoughts tend to surface more.

Learn how to keep relaxed.

When you get intrusive thoughts, don't tense up. Let them go by not trying to resist them. Try to treat them as just thoughts created by a "bored mind" that no one can see or feel but you. They are Just thoughts.

When you check things, check once and once only. The more you check, the more tense and anxious you become so the more difficult it becomes to stop.

If certain words frighten you, write those words down constantly on a piece of paper until you become plain bored of writing and reading them. What you're doing is de-sensitising yourself to those words so that when you later hear, read or think them, they've lost their OCD power over you.

Make a list of all the things that are OCD affected and list them in order of difficulty. Tackle the easiest on your list by resisting any repeating until it's no longer a problem, and then move up your list to the more difficult ones. You'll find that with each one achieved, the more difficult ones become easier to resist.

Lastly, avoid planning because you then don't allow yourself time to "think" and tense up. Do things on the spur of the moment when you feel up to it. If you don't, leave them until you feel more relaxed and if you can't stop repeating, go back to it later.

I found the only way to stop myself was by not allowing my compulsions to control me and I found that once I resisted repeating one chore, the others became much easier to cope with because I'd proved to myself nothing bad would happen if I didn't repeat.

One point to remember is that what we're really doing is trying to stop anxious feelings by repeating a ritual to find immediate relief. The problem then though is that when we next attempt something, the anxious feelings shoot straight back up because we're still afraid of those thoughts.

What you Will find is that if you resist repaeting a ritual, you Will feel very anxious for a time But these anxious feelings Will Gradually subside until the compulsion to repeat has evaporated.

An example I can give is tieing my laces. I used to get intrusive thoughts or hear words from people around that frightened me so I would have to undo and re-tie them. However, once I resisted the compulsion, my anxiety gradually eased on its own and so the next time I came to tie them I was no longer afraid of any frightening thoughts or words i might hear because I knew it was safe to resist.

That's a very brief post about the way OCD affected me but I hope it's of some help.

Re: What worked for me

Good post man. You're right, a HUGE key to overcoming OCD combulsions is to just STOP DOING THEM. This breaks the habbit. Aslong as you keep doing them... you'll keep doing them. I've found that resisting the urge makes you very anxious during that moment, but the payoff is much greater. Just not doing something a few times greatly reduces the urge and anxiety with future combulsions. And with persistance of resisting the urge, they go away quite fast.

I've gotten over a lot of OCD related things by doing this, and it only took a few times of resistance and doing the thing that made you feel anxious.

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for the post.

Best wishes

Thanks that's a helpful post.

I think OCD is worse when you keep looking things up as you never take your mind off it. A bored mind is a great way to put it as say you are out having a great time with freinds you are less likely to be worrying with OCD. I think we all have spare time to think about things that makes OCD worse.

I agree about stress...I've been extremely stressed and OCD is at it's worst and I struggle to cope..it feeds on stress and anxiety. If I'm anxious the thoughts can scare me.

I find it hard to accept the thoughts have no truth. I guess the best way to see it is you do what you want to do and you know deep down what you are about.

Hi

I think that busying yourself is true avoidance. It is what keeps the cycle going, that is with anxiety of course. The best course of action is keeping a calm mind and not running away from the feelings and sensations. OCD I am not so sure about as I have never suffered. Unless you classed occupying yourself when you feel anxiety coming on a Compulsive disorder?

Mee

A couple of things I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to include which "may" help others.

Firstly, in one word - "Perfectionism".

When we're perfectionists, (me included!), we feel we must get things perfectly right. We don't allow ourselves to make mistakes and in doing so perfectionism creates tension and therefore added stress which can then lead to OCD. I'm not saying perfectionism is a bad thing though because it can also mean we're conscientious because we want to do things properly and not slapdash. It's a careful balance.

I think a person is more likely to develop OCD if they also have a very intense nature but also suffer from a lack of confidence because low confidence then creates doubt as to whether we've done something correctly or not. Perfectionism is just one of the ingredients which we need to be aware of.

I would still say that I seek perfection, even though I know it's not possible but it motivates me to constantly perform better both in life and in sport. I guess you could call it an inner strength because I won't give up when I can still see hope.

I can remember once at work that my boss asked me to write a long list of figures on a sheet of paper. I was feeling stressed at the time so my OCD was difficult to contain. I tried not to make any mistakes but when I wrote a wrong figure, instead of just crossing it out or tippexing it, my OCD made me start writing the whole list again. I didn't realise though that my boss was watching and he needed the figures urgently. When he saw I was re-writing the list, he was furious and went for me! I had no choice but to admit that I was re-writing the list which of course he couldn't understand why which just added to his fury. I just had to give him the original list with the wrong figure crossed out together with the correct figure. I didn't enjoy working there anyway because of the extreme stress so I keft within a year and as a result my OCD lessened.

Point is, Allow yourself to make "in your eyes" mistakes. Things where it really doesn't matter if something is a fraction out of position or not perfectly written.

If you attempt to be perfect in everything you do, you'll put yourself under more stress so it doesn't only mean that you feel you need to correct things but also be more inclined to having intrusive thoughts and safe number thinking.

Perfectionism can be a bit like walking down a narrow "safe" path. We want to reach the other end without making mistakes but in doing so it makes us rigid and rushed so that when we do make a mistake, it stresses us because we don't know how to deal with it.

Try to adopt a more relaxed approach to life so that you realise that things that seem important, aren't really That important in the greater schemes to living. A writing mistake really doesn't matter to the extent of writing the whole page again.

it's good to be a perfectionist but not when it gets out of hand.

The other thing I wanted to say was this -

You know when we say we want to do something but we keep putting it off until tomorrow but we never get round to doing it? We never seem to find the time!

Well, a little tip that worked for me which "might" help others is this -

When I was trying to do "a chore" but I got an intrusive thought, instead of re-doing because of my OCD, I'd say to myself "I'll re-do it tomorrow". When tomorrow came my anxiety had lessened and when I thought about re-doing, I'd say to myself "No, I'll leave it for another day". The next day my anxiety would lessen even more or I may have even felt it unimportant to re-do and ended up just leaving it until the next time I actually did need to do that chore.

It would mean for example "putting something away". I might et an intrusive thought which in the end made it feel impossible for me to out it away and forget it. The more I tried, the more my anxious feelings grew and the more OCD became a problem.

I decided then that I would put it away, check once then leave...even if I did get an intrusive thought. If my OCD made me feel I needed to repeat more, I'd say to myself "I'll re-do it tomorrow" but when tomorrow came my OCD was much less so I was then able to re-affirm what I'd said to myself the day before and keep leaving it alone....until the day came that I needed to take it out again for an actual purpose.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add these things just in case they were of any help to anyone.

By the way, I haven't read what I've just typed so I apologise if I've made any spelling mistakes.....I'm not re-writing it all again or going to attempt to be perfect...so tough!

Bill

what fantastic postings for those who suffer with OCD. xxx

Just wanted to say hi Bill, i not been on much recently, i have kids off for summer hols and we getting ready to move, i hope you doing ok and your mum is doing ok too, also hope you are managing to get a little time for you. hugs xx

An old thread I wrote but maybe it'll help someone if I bring it forward.

Hi Bill,

Three words in your interesting post I can to realate to.Sensitive,Intense and Perfection.

Over the years I think that my first signs of mental illness was OCD but not to the same degree as you have explained. I definitely started counting things over and over again, have always been very tidy to the extreme and if i had three or four notes on various things to do I would put them all one one piece of paper.

I am going back to my early teens butwas never aware at that time of anxiety whilst doing these things. Now several decades on I am not disturbed by these things, though I am still reasonably tidy but over the years developed panic disorder and general anxiety 24/7.

I wouldn't say stress was the initial cause as we all encounter stress throughout our lives but your post has given me some thought. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information