Thread: Alcohol

Alcohol

Hiya

I have a Q about alcohol.I know that drinking it can make anxiety worse(usually doent for me),and obviously drinking too much can give you a lovely hangover the nest day.
    However,i have been trying to get out more,even if just for an hour to see friends etc and have a drink.
    I find though that i end up feeling really breathless and my chest feels restricted,im obviously really worried and wondered if anyone has any ides what it could be?(it happens when im drinking at home too).
    It happens both when im actually drinking and also the next day.I dont drink lots only two or three.
    Any info would be appreciated

Hunny x

Anyone?

Hunny x

Hi Hunny,
    I'm not sure but its sounds to me as though you are actually getting anxious about having a drink, if that makes sense? I mean do you get the feelings before the alcohol has had a chance to get fully into your system? I suppose the more you convince yourself alcohol brings on the anxiety then the more you anticipate it and then you become anxious just having a drink. I cant say if this is it for sure but its just an idea?
    I have discovered drinking loads is definately not good for lol. i had a night out on Friday and got quite drunk, had a reallly good time and felt wonderful but the nest day was awful and I had loads of anxiety plus an awful hangover [xx(]

lucy x

It sounds like you are more anxious ahout drinking that you realise. Just have a few drinks - don't go overboard!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Hi Hunny,

Mrs anxiety has got you thinking that every time you have a few drinks you will get a symptom. Don't let her do this to you, you are only having a few. When I was acute Mrs anxiety tryed many things to stop me from doing what I wanted, drink was one of them. I did have to stop drinking because I was so bad, but then again everytime I went out i got drrunk, LOL and we all know that the next day we are feeling very low.
    Lucy is right, the more you link your symptoms into what you are doing the more the symptoms will come at that time.
    Avoiding things is not what you are supposed to do JFDI, but this one is up to you. After all you are only having a few drinks.
    For me I had to stop till I could get my head round how to deal with my PAs, anxiaty.
    It is possible to still have your few drinks but you must work hard on your thoughts, don't blame the few drinks for your symptoms or the going out with friends. Whach your thought patterns before doing these things. Writing your thoughts down before these times and trying to changed the negative thoughts to positive WILL help you move forward.
    Hope this helps.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

You are being programmed all day, every day.
    You can't stop it, but you can determine if the
    programming is positive or negative,

Hi Hunny, I agree with the others about perhaps worrying you will suffer with the drinks.
    I like a drink but stayed off for a while as I believe it makes you worse the next day.
    the last few days I seem to have had a lot to drink,(I am struggling anyway) but as soon as they wear off the anxiety returns with avengance, so hunny drink small amounts and sensibly, tell your thoughts to go away because youre having them anyway, mmmmm easier said thsan done, I know, hope some of these replies have been useful, or you could of course go out and drink juice?? Love Alexis,xx

Thanks for your replys.I was starting to think maybe i had an allergy to alcohol,i couldnt work out why i felt this way.
    Maybe you are all right,its funny how we tell ourselves there is something physically wrong before even considering the mental side isnt it?
    Im just scared to now in case i have a serious allergic reaction.Its not that i drink very much,but i was annoyed that this was one more thing i seemed unable to do.

Thanks again
    Hunny x

hey hunny,
    i was exactly like you and my therapist told me that it was because i was anxious about drinking and somehow connected it with panic in my mind. it has taken me ages but now i am at a stage where i can have one or two drinks and feel fine.
    if you've drunk in the past and been fine with it then i don't think you'll have a serious allergy or reaction - i reckon you'll be just fine. i try not to think about the fact that i'm drinking alcohol and that seems to help.
    henri x

Thread Information