Thread: Smoking increasing my Anxiety

Smoking increasing my Anxiety

Im trying to quit smoking at the moment as I find that It is provoking a lot of my Anxiety. I find that after smoking a fag that my anxiety increases and my palms start sweating. Have any other smokers here managed to quit, and did it help with the anxiety after quitting?

I've managed to smoke before without having the anxiety afterwards. It's only since I started taking Vitamin B.

I spoke to my doctor about giving up smoking, and she said to me that while my anxiety was on a high, it wouldnt be the best time to try, my anxiety is really low at the minute but im still puffing away,as my ciggys keep me sane, well as sane as i will ever be lol (well thats my excuse anyway)
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

My Gp Told me the same. I cant help thinking though that this maybe one of the underlying causes of my anxiety. If I can quit Effexor cold turkey Im sure I can have a go of quitting smoking
    Thanks for the reply.

Good luck with the giving up smoking, wanting to do it is half the battle, let me know how you get on, it might give me the push to do it myself,
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

HELP TO STOP SMOKING
    Teaching
    Giving up smoking!

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi there,
    I suffered with anxiety whilst being a heavy smoker, and since giving up more than 3 years ago, still suffer with anxiety. It made no difference to my anxiety what-so-ever, but i must say, that obviously i am much healthier in other departments!!!! take care.

Hi me again,
    ooops, was I too abrupt in my post, it. of course, is my opinion only!!!!Having a weird old week this week.xxxxxxxxxxx

I can say it did make my anxiety worse, not in my every day life but after i had had a cigarette i found my anxiety was worse for a good ten mins or so, i started to smoke a few years ago thinkin it would calm me down and i think it did for a while as it is a time when you sit still for those few minutes it takes you to smoke it,

I have not had a cigarette for a few months now, and could kick myself for even starting as a lot of people say lol,

so really what im saying if you have anxiety you will have it wether you smoke or not but smoking does make it worse for the few minutes after having one,

kairen x

Hi Anxiety26

I noticed that you had just posted a similar topic so I thought I'd bring this to the top for you again. Hopefully some more people will be able to advise on their experiences with smoking/anxiety.

Sorry I can't help myself as I'm not a smoker.

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Thread Information