Thread: Stopping the Negative Thoughts

Stopping the Negative Thoughts

DP: depersonalization
    DR: derealization

Hello All

well i have been reading the old topics in this forum and other forums and i have realized a tip from all the people who have recovered completely from anxiety and derealization/depersonalization. They all say stop thinking about your symptoms. Well the problem is i have hard time doing so and im not sure how i can stop thinking about my DP/DR. When i wake up and i go outside, as soon as i look around and stare at people and trees the feeling is there. How can i not think about it? it automatically comes to my head. Like im driving a car passes by and the car seems so fake and unreal, again i get reminded of my DP/DR. Like looking at anything reminds me of my DP/DR. Is there a way or a good method to stop your thoughts. Like i have tried to not think about it and as soon as i start thinking about my DP/DR i would just think of another thing but wait i have already focused on it by thinking about it for few seconds so how is that stopping the thoughts?

Re: Stopping the Negative Thoughts

Hi

A few weeks ago I had this, I felt the same as you how can I switch off from my thoughts when everything I look at seems surreal. It was very scary and stopped me going out.

It is hard to know what stopped it for me. My GP started me on medication which has helped but I also forced myself to visit family. I was sure I'd be a wreck and need to come home again. However I was fine, we didnt stay long but I was so happy with what I had achieved not being out for weeks - it took my mind off things. I then noticed that everything was seeming more normal.
    Over the last week I have felt alot better, when my anxiety levels get high I notice it creeping back so I try to distract myself by reminding me how well i'm doing. It is hard as when I'm very anxious I cant be around people - as i find it hard to concentrate/listen to what people are saying

Try not to worry, when you least expect it you may find yourself distracted and notice your feelings disappear. It will come.

Isn't it weird when you read someone else's experience and it could be like reading your own thoughts? That's exactly what just happened to me reading your post!

The way I managed to get through the thoughts you describe was to accept that it was just the way my tired brain and nerves was withdrawing into itself after months of me worrying. Those thoughts cannot harm you, and the more accepting of them (and yourself!) you are, the more rest you give your mind, and the more you will be able to connect with people again. I promise you can get through this!

For more info on this, I recommend the book which has helped me enormously, which is At Last A Life by Paul David. His website where you can get more info and order it is: http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/
    He really knows his stuff!

Hope you feel better soon

Sarah x

hi there,
    yes i totally agree with the post above...try to accept it and above all not to let it frighten you {easier said than done] I read a great book by Dr. Claire Weekes which spoke about this awful feeling she also said try to do some exercises with it make yourself go into that state so you will overcome it and not be scared off it..i try to do this time to time...be strong...lots of us suffer with this as you can see...god bless

Thread Information