Thread: Anxiety, Exercise and Heart Anxiety

Anxiety, Exercise and Heart Anxiety

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my experiences with anxiety and exercise. I love riding my bike. I try to get a 1-hour ride in a few times a week. Well, I was layed up with a cyst (nothing serious) in a area that shall we say, prevented me from riding.

I was not able to get any exercise for 3 weeks. I noticed that not only had my anxiety gotten worse, but I started getting depressive symptoms as well. The pain and worry about the cyst being cancer really got to me.

After I got all healed up, I forced myself to get out on my bike again. For the past 10 days I've been out nearly every day and my anxiety has been improving (along with a little Ativan). When I'm riding I feel my heart pumping forcefully and it reminds me that all is well there.

Sometimes the last thing you think you can do is get out an exercise, but it can be a tremendous help. For me, sometimes walking down the street can be anxiety inducing, but biking is not. Find something that works for you. If you can't get outside, try dancing in your living room! I was in the midst of a panic attack coming on and I got up and danced. Silly, but doing this reminded me that my heart was working great.

Of course, if your doctor thinks you should take it easy, by all means do so. If you've had all the tests and they say you're a-ok, give exercise a try.

Re: Anxiety, Exercise and Heart Anxiety

good ideas there, lake, i have an exercise bike which i use in times of anxiety.....carry on the good work .......xx

Thread Information