Thread: I am worried I may have ovarian cancer

I am worried I may have ovarian cancer

I am 46 years old, and had a CT scan for suspected gastro-intestinal problems. Yesterday I was told that I have a mass of about 4cm on my ovary which has been a terrible shock and we were ready and packed to go on holiday. The consultant said he didn't know if it was benign or malignant but not to go on holiday, so we have had to cancel all our plans.

The symptoms I have been having over the past year are feeling full quickly, feel very heavy after meals unless I eat small and light. I therefore eat less and have lost about half a stone in weight. Sometimes I also have no appetite plus bad belching/indigestion and some constipation. I previously had a colonoscopy/endoscopy which was clear, except for mild gastritis and some divertibular disease. I have no pain or menstrual changes.

I have just heard that the blood tumour marker test they do is within the normal range, but I know that this is not definitive. On Monday I will go to have the transvaginal utrasound and then a further internal, after which they will know more.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. This is my first message, and I heard about this forum from a friend, as this whole thing is pretty scarey!

Thank you....
    Last edited by sueP; 12-08-09 at 15:38. Reason: Update of information

Re: I am worried I may have ovarian cancer

hi sue
    sorry i have no advice just wanted to wish you well . try
    not to worry toomuch until you no wots going on .x
    sandra
    xxxxx

I have a benign ovarian cyst that is 7cms and it was found on ultrasound. To confirm it was totally benign they did a MRI scan of my pelvis and abdomen and the mri is the best there is for seeing whats going on. It is unusual for the CA125 blood test to be well within normal range in ovarian cancer but it can be only slightly raised- they get more false positives. I do not know if a CT scan is good enough to define a cyst from a mass?? My Dr told me that the ultrasound scan will show worrying characteristics or if its just simple cyst but only the MRI can show if a simple cyst is hiding something else.
    Can't be much help I'm afraid and I would love to say you haven't got ovarian cancer but of course that would be wrong of me.
    I send you huge hugs as I know how terryfying it is waiting for resutls - i only watied a week from mri to results but it was awful.
    The ultrasound will give them a very very good idea what they are dealing with.

Hello Sue,

This is obviously a worrying time for you, and I wish you all the best for Monday, when you will be able find out more. It is good you have the results back for the blood tumour marker test, although I know this isn't definitive, it is at least one piece of encouraging news to hold on to.

Hi and thank you for your reply. As you say I will know more after the transvaginal ultrasound on Monday.... I wish you well too. Not sure why they didn't do an MRI, but this should show us more...apparently mass is the general term they use for tumour/growth. Best wishes - I wonder if you will have yours removed.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I have a benign ovarian cyst that is 7cms and it was found on ultrasound. To confirm it was totally benign they did a MRI scan of my pelvis and abdomen and the mri is the best there is for seeing whats going on. It is unusual for the CA125 blood test to be well within normal range in ovarian cancer but it can be only slightly raised- they get more false positives. I do not know if a CT scan is good enough to define a cyst from a mass?? My Dr told me that the ultrasound scan will show worrying characteristics or if its just simple cyst but only the MRI can show if a simple cyst is hiding something else.
    Can't be much help I'm afraid and I would love to say you haven't got ovarian cancer but of course that would be wrong of me.
    I send you huge hugs as I know how terryfying it is waiting for resutls - i only watied a week from mri to results but it was awful.
    The ultrasound will give them a very very good idea what they are dealing with.

[Hi Sandra, and thanks for your good wishes....
    Sue

quote=sandramick;537099]hi sue
    sorry i have no advice just wanted to wish you well . try
    not to worry toomuch until you no wots going on .x
    sandra
    xxxxx[/quote]

Hi Sue
    I don't have to have my benign cyst removed unless it changes or grows so I have to have a repeat ultrasound scan and blood test every three months - if there are any changes in scan or bloods or if the scan shows the cyst has grown big enough to cause problems then I will need it removed and would have a full hysterectomy at same time.

I will be thinking of you - let us know how you get on please

Hi Sue,

Cant begin to imagine what you are going through right now, but wanted to send you kind thoughts and best wishes, hope monday goes well.

Pauline x

Hi,

I will le you know how it goes on Monday. The good blood test is keeping me going till then. Thanks for your support,
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Hi Sue
    I don't have to have my benign cyst removed unless it changes or grows so I have to have a repeat ultrasound scan and blood test every three months - if there are any changes in scan or bloods or if the scan shows the cyst has grown big enough to cause problems then I will need it removed and would have a full hysterectomy at same time.

I will be thinking of you - let us know how you get on please

Thread Information