Thread: tooth extractions ..... IV sedation ..... scared

Unhappy tooth extractions ..... IV sedation ..... scared

well i worked myself up so much for my tooth extraction today only to be told it was just a check up (as she has not seen me since jan) and to take xrays my appointment was not until 1.40pm so ive spent the whole morning working myself up
    went in and was crying my eyes out as thought she was going to take my tooth out
    i have to have 4 teeth out and 2 fillings. she said because im so nervous it will be best to get the 4 of them in one go at the hospital under IV sedation. i am bloody petrified to say the least. she said i will be awake and breathing by myself and can even take to the dentist but i wont remember a thing of it omg that sounds so scary.
    will get appointment in 6-8 weeks for consultation then will be given appointment to have the work done
    has anyone else ever had this done??????
    advice really needed please x

Re: tooth extractions ..... IV sedation ..... scared

know how you feel about the dentist as always feel nervous in there. I have not had the treatment you describe but I promise it will be nowhere near as bad as you are able to imagine it to be. That is always the way with panic/anxiety.

Veronica

thanks veronica.
    anyone else? x

Hi Mummy,
    I had my first tooth extraction about 6 months ago, i was really nervous as i have never had tooth out before and was scared of all sorts from would i feel pain, would i be able to chew food the same afterwards even woulld i have a heart attack in the dentist chair from the stress and fear that i was feeling! It all seems so stupid now when i look back but i was so afraid and shook like mad beforehand! Now i know that it's only 1 tooth and you are having 4 out ..but my hubby had 4 teeth out at hosp and went straight back to work!!(he does'nt have the panic like us mind u) I'm sure you will be ok tho I only had the normal numbing injections and i told them to give me minimum amount as i dont like the feeling if they give too much! (hence why i was worried about feeling the pain!) To be honest it was so straightforward it was suprising and they had alot of pulling about cos the tooth broke up and they were trying to retrive a broken tool a dentist had left in the root canal years previously..they never did get the bit out i dont know where its travelled to!!lol The sedation you said you will be having is probably similar to the one i had when i had gastroscopy done, you are awake but you not really aware of any pain or discomfort ..i was fine after this and had no ill feeling...So please calm down as you will probably look back afterwards and say what was all the apprehension for afterwards as well...Thats anxiety for you tho we always worry about the unknown and the what ifs...Good luck anyway ..Speak soon Jodiex.

I LOVE IV SEDATION - I've had numerous teeth out under sedation, can't say a bad thing about it....AND i HATE dentists

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I'm the same as belle - and I'm absolutely petrified of dentists. I promise you that once the treatment starts, if you're like me, you'll be talking and maybe even laughing, the next thing you know you're coming round and amazed that the treatment has been done!

it just all sounds so freaky to me lol!
    seriously, how long are you 'out of it' for? and what do you feel like when you 'come round'? do you feel 'back to normal' as soon as your back in reality?
    very confused?????x

Lol - I guess it does sound freaky! I can't honestly remember but I think you're "out of it" for the length of time that the treatment takes, probably 20 mins or so? When they were preppring me I kept thinking "this is never going to work on me" as it was so gradual - not like the rush I used to experience years ago with other IV stuff! Next thing you know, you're in the recovery room and gradually coming round. I just felt like when you wake up from a deep sleep, nothing traumatic. Obviously, you get the normal feelings in your mouth after having dental work done but the panic is nowhere to be seen.

I really am the worst panicker in the world, especially when it comes to dentist - I wish they'd had this treatment years ago, honestly!

Thread Information