Thread: worried about ms/mnd - does it go away?

worried about ms/mnd - does it go away?

Hi I am new - and very worried.

I was wondering if anybody has ever worried about these illnesses and then got over it?? I cant imagine ever being free of these thoughts - did anyone get over it without the need for MRIs etc or is it something you have get checked out and then told you dont have in order to feel free of it? I dont want to go to the doctors in case they take me seriously - I dont think I could take it!! I just keep buzzing inside every now and then and my arm gets numb and feels tingly and my left eye seems to be blurred - sometimes I even think my hand is stiff and I cant use it - I am not sure if it's real or in my head! I twitch all over too - am I just burying my head in the sand??

Re: worried about ms/mnd - does it go away?

Hi Shakey,

I developed a tremor in my head and hand last year and was referred by my GP to a neurologist yesterday. I too was worrying about MS, having a cousin and a friend who are affected by the condition, and about MND, probably because it has featured quite a lot in news reports lately. It turns out that I actually have a condition called dystonia, an involuntary movement disorder which can be treated with injections (botulinum toxin - ie Botox!) and is not a degenerative disease, thank God. The neurologist ruled out MS and MND very quickly by doing a number of simple, non-invasive tests (eg testing my reflexes), by listening to my story and by examining me. My advice to you (for what it's worth) is to ask for a referral to a neurologist and get reassurance quickly - and painlessly!

Actually my main reason for coming onto this forum is that for the last year I have been waking every night up to 10 times a night with a fast pulse, high peaks in blood pressure and sweaty hands. It's making my life hell but my doc puts it all down to anxiety and is trying to get me to take anti-depressants, so any thoughts you might have on my situation would be very welcome!

PhilG

Thank you for your reply - I didnt know they could rule those illnesses out so quickly - maybe I'll be brave and see what the doc says.

I know what you mean about waking up with heart racing and sweaty palms - it is classic anxiety - how do you know your blood pressure is high though?? I woke up at least 3 times last night!

lol i have a similar story.

my hands were shaking a lot and thought i was developing parkinsons disease.
    eventually plucked up the courage to go to docs who sent me for a blood test and it turned out to be hyperthyroidism cured by taking a tablet each day for a year............no biggie!

all the best

Thread Information