Thread: councelling

councelling

When I was 17 I was sadly raped by someone I knew. I did not know this person greatly, more of a friend or a friend but being young and naive I trusted him. I only told a few close friends. No family, no police.

Unfortunately, i fell pregnant from the rape and because i did not want my ordeal to come out to my family, I had a termination by conscious sedation when i was 5weeks and 3days. It was awful.. i went through it alone. I have two views on the termination...

1. i was only 17 and it was against my will, i dont know how I would be if I found out I was only in this world because of rape.

2. there was a baby forming inside of me who i never gave a chance of life.

Since then I had been suffering with my confidence and even resorted to self harm. I truelly believed everyone was against me and I attracted bad luck. I became very touchy and if i got upset at home from a comment (which id normally take as a joke or give it back) my family would say dont be so soft. but they did not know what i went through and how much i needed someone.

I was lucky enough to meet and trust my current boyfriend. i told him everythin. he is my rock. he put up with my mood swings. I was more nagative then positive and was alot for him to put up with. but he did. as much as i trusted him... i hated myself and little things like him going out on a night out with friends I was convinced that he would cheat. Not because I didnt trust him but because I thought it would be my luck.. what i deserved.

Last october i went to my doctors and told her everything. it took me just over 2 years to get help. councellin really helped and i would advise it to everyone. I stopped councellin a few months back and although i still have times that i get myself worked up or panicky, i am alot better. if im sad.. i pick myself up quicker than i used to. i do not self harm anymore. As a result of my rape, my councellor said i suffered social anxiety. i went from trusting everythin to trustin nothing. Going out alone was too scary for me to do.

I am still wary but alot better. i was knocked back in may when me and my boyfriend (both 20) got attacked by 2 men around the age of 40. I ended up havin stitches in my forhead and had black eyes.. my boyfriend having facial injuried and snapped tendon in his finger. I was knocked back from it but instead of thinkin it was my fault.. my luck, i told myself that we was just in thw wrong place at the wrong time. if it someone else there, the same would happen to them.

im gettin better everyday.. i do have the tendancy to try be so positive that if the slightest thing doesnt go to plan then I think it is a big deal. But one day I will get there

Re: councelling

So sorry to read you went through all that alone - it must have been so difficult for you.

I would like to start councelling, but I am a very private person so I wonder if I'd be able to open up fully! How often were your sessions and how long did you have councelling for altogether.

Congrats on getting through it and for being positive - that is great after what you've been through!

Jodie, I would just like to say that you are a very brave lady to have got through all that has happened to you in such a mature and positive way and I hope you continue to flourish. I agree that counselling can be a good thing up to a point but would stress that you have to find the right person with whom you feel totally comfortable and accepted. Maddy x

I am glad to see you are slowly recovering from such a harrowing ordeal. Your courage is truly remarkable. Lay no blame on yourself over the termination, I see no fault on your behalf.
    I have had social phobia since childhood, but am glad that no such traumatic incident as you have suffered caused my illness.
    I hope you continue with such a positive outlook.

All the best,
    John

Thread Information