Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest pain.

Chest pain.

This is really starting to bug me now. There isn't anything wrong with my heart, even if I sometimes think there is, so why does my chest hurt? I mean I can feel it, it hurts. It's real. It's not in my head. What's causing it??

Re: Chest pain.

I get pains in my chest and it is because of the cartildge on my ribs getting inflamed; first time I got it I ended up in A&E as I thought it was my heart, but like you I tested OK.

Have you tried taking some ibruprofen?

I think most of us get it.. Eventually I noticed and kept catching myself all tensed up. I was completely unaware until I actually stopped one day and let my muscles go floppy as possible!

I still catch myself tensed up and I dont feel anxiety. I do know that my anxiety level has been reset and I'm so used to being anxious, I don't feel it. I do feel extreme episodes though and panic!

Thanks for the replies, it's just starting to drive me up the wall. I'll think it's gone, or I won't be thinking about it and then I'll just feel a little twinge, or an ache, or something, and it's frightening even if I know it's not my heart.

Hi pd, I have been asked this question before, below is the response I posted.

'Don't worry it's part of the freeze response when your flight, fight or freeze response is triggered by panic. Panic is a state we are supposed to enter when in danger (unfortunately some of us get even when there is no sign of it ). Our body responds in several different ways to panic, one way is the freeze response. Because panic causes us to breathe more heavily and more rapidly the chest muscle contract in the freeze response. This is to counter the movement of the chest and to reduce it. This is to help us freeze if being pursued by a predator (No one said the freeze response was intelligent).
    So tightness of the chest and difficulty breathing in times of stress is usually a pretty normal and perfectly safe reaction (I've suffered from it for 30 years and it hasn't killed me yet. )'

This tightness can become very uncomfortable and painful but I can assure you it is a perfectly normal and safe reaction to panic. It is one of the most common of the extreme anxiety symptoms that I have but it as never caused any lasting damage.

I'm thinking that it's something physical rather than anxiety as I feel it at completely random times rather than just when I'm panicking... But it can't be anything serious because I'd be dead by now and I'm not

I will see if painkillers take it away.

I was trying to say that even though we don't feel anxious, we most certainly are. We've just become used to it and our body and mind accept it as being normal. The less we fear the chest pains, the less we get them.

I've suffered with them for a while an I can tell you that fearing them makes them much more frequent.

This is my main symptom and it bugs me like hell. I have had ECGs and all fine but it still does not stop me thinking about my heart as pain in the chest causes a natural reaction to think its your heart. (this is what mostly brings my panic on)

Anyway i have an appointment next week with a rheumatologist to see if it is inflamation of the muscles between the ribs. Anxiety is an evil thing and i totally agree with you distorted reality in what you said in your last post.

Do you mind me asking how you combated it or do you still get them? im thinking CBT might help me.

I think I know what you mean... We're anxious so much of the time that after a while it becomes normal to feel this way.

Last year I was diagnosed with chostochondritis, inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs, but it was always the one place, the pain I've had over the last few months is in a new place but I suppose it could be the same thing.

The logical part of me knows that nothing can be seriously wrong, but when the anxiety kicks in I can't stop the negative thought cycle of "oh my god I'm going to die".

Life is fun, isn't it?

Hi PD

This is why i am going to the rhuematologist because they think i might have costochondritis. It still doesnt help even if i have this because my anxiety doesn't seem to ever go away!! And the negative thought cycle is exactly like me

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information