Thread: Automatic negative Thoughts

Automatic negative Thoughts

I've been to work this morning. Quite physical but i don't mind because i like a little bit of money for myself. But what i can't handle is "the thoughts". Whilst working this morning all i was thinking was "am i going to black out and that will be it". I don't want to think these horrid thoughts, they are just there. I know on my way to work i felt a bit anxious because it was dark (winter weather) and i know i often think of being in bed asleep where i'm safe. Is this why i have the negative thoughts. Why won't my mind calm down? Suzuki PS i also feel "life isn't the norm" but do want to live. Can anyone make sense of this

Hi Su,

Yes i can! I walked down the library today and just felt like my legs were gonna collapse on me...then in there i felt all spacey and things and had to wait for a time when there was no queue.

I wish i didn't have to live like this loads and i wish i didn't have to kinda talk myself into doing things...i wish it was just natural like it used to be just to do things coz i wanted to.

And most of all i wish that my choices hadn't made things worse.

That's quite negative isn't it? Whoops!

I guess it is kinda retraining the brain and also having trust in it a bit as well...recovery is just as scary and being like this.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

*all i was thinking was "am i going to black out and that will be it". I don't want to think these horrid thoughts, they are just there*

BUT you can change them yourself. You are in control of your own thoughts . Currently you are allowing them to get carried away. You need to actively change them.

CBT teaches you this.

Changing thought patterns takes repeated practice and continued motivation before it starts to sink in.

Then it does change.

The Battle that Rages in my Head

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hello there

When I was bad I put a hair bobble on my wrist and everytime I heard anything negative enter my head I snapped the bobble and siad "NO" very harshly to myself, stopping the thought in its tracks and replacing it with a poitive image of my kids on the beach on holiday.

Just going through a little blip phase at the moment and have started the technique again - it does work, I am snapping that band a lot less today than I was last week.

Take care...Angie

If your finding that your pushing threw the despite the thought's but you cant seem to stop the automatic thoughts from starting. This is how I was feeling and even thoe I could reduce the thought or change the thought's the after effect's of the adrenilin that was already released were really effecting my body and I was sick of dealling with the after effect and the thought's.

Your brain bring's up automatic thought based apon the way you feeling at that time and you may not really get a clear thought every time but when you body has an anxiety reaction it has remembered something negative. You can over ride the automatic thought by forcing your self to foucs on some thing really happy and unrealted. I also read that if you add some silly comment to the memory you can reduce it effect on your body.

I tryed for 3 year's to really change my thinking and I just recently opted to go on med's. The med's I got put on to help stop the unwanted and repeated thought's from acuring and it really has helped alot i stopped an extreamly bad scratching habbit with a 3 day's of being on the med's But i have also that I'm not having rerun's of bad thing's that have happened in the past sort term past or long term past. That has help me so much cause every time i would get a rerun the same feeling over and over.

You are the only one that know the sort of thinking your having but if your really do feel like it the same thought's or same patern of thought's then and you really feel like thay have control over you and not you having control over them. I really would consider talk to your dr about it all. Even if you dont want med's he may be able to reconmend a way to really help you help your self.

If you dont like Dr's than really the only option is to really concentrate on disrating your self. I found that just telling my self to stop over and over had more of an effect on reducing my anxiety symtom's than trying to breath or count ect. Then going out of my way to distract my self at that would be turning the music up real loud and singing to it when I was out it more often forcing my self to change my thinking to the small word changing every negative word to a postive one. I would just basic chant in side my head I can.... I can... I will.... I will.... that sort of thing just anything postive to stop the negative thought's.

Thread Information