Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tightness in the chest

Tightness in the chest

I keep getting a tight chest alot, i'm not sure if my asthma is causing it or whether something else is.

When i get this tightness i take my blue inhaler and it may go away for a few hours but soon comes back, i have had this for around 2 weeks now, don't know whether it's something serious or just something little.

I also have Asthma, half the time when I felt tight chest etc, I thought it was Asthma, turned out it was anxiety related.

Visit the doctor if you're concered though.

Is this the same tighness you've been having for weeks/months or different? Sorry to ask but you have so many posts on this I get confused what it's related to. I know you've had a cold lately too which can't help.
    Did you ever get your ECG results?
    If your chest tightness is relieved immediately by your blue inhaler then it could be your asthma causing it. How is your peak flow? Does your gp monitor your asthma properly with lung spirometry tests? This test measures lung function better than a peak flow and if your asthma was getting worse they would then adjust your medication. Do you take a preventer inhaler (brown one) as well as the blue one? I am always told to increase my brown one when I get a cold. It's hard to say whether this is anxiety, your cold or your asthma as it could be all three I guess.
    Take care,
    Lisa

Well i'm almost over my cold now, i have never had a lung spiratory test done despite having asthma for 20 years (had it severly for the first 10 years or so).

My peak flow is between 300-350, my best peak flow i have ever done is 450, but my average is around 350.

Despite having my ECG 13 days ago, i still have not got the results, i asked the doctor on friday and they said they were not back yet :(, hospital said they would be back within 7 days.

Hi Andrew,
    You should get the ECG results soon, they would have let you know sooner if there was something really wrong.
    Good the cold has gone.
    I'm not an expert but your peak flow does seem a little low maybe. Meg may correct me though so don't worry. If it's always been 300 - 350 it may be normal for you. Mine is usually 500, can be 450 when I get a cold. I know they work out what it should be based on your age and height and what sex you are. Mine should be 490 on average so I'm often better than that. My friend who is 35 and male was told his should be 600 so I would have thought for a young male that it should be higher than 300 - BUT I COULD BE WRONG. I have the lung spirometry test once a year (having it next week) and I have an asthma management plan too. It may be worth discussing the asthma with your doctor or nurse. Anxiety can affect peak flows although if I'm anxious mine get better.
    Take care and try not to worry.
    Lisa

Hi Andrew,
    Why don't you look back on all your previous posts hun, I think you will find Meg and Nic have answered all these questions for you before, and I am sure the answers will be the same this time again.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwitten'

Andrew

Do you see the asthma nurse once a year? I have to go to see the nurse once a year and the doctor once a year as well (so 2 visits 6 months apart).

They do my peak flow, discuss how the asthma effects me, what triggers it etc etc.

I too was told to increase the brown inhaler if I was a bit chesty rather than the blue one.

You also need to be careful using the inhalers too much and don't forget to have a drink or brush your teeth afterwards or you start getting sore throats.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

I was told my peak flow should be between 550-600 no chance lol, i struggle to get 350 sometimes, mine has always been like that though, and i do worry it's too low, but very rarely i can get 450.

I take my blue inhaler whenever i need it i take brown inhaler twice in the morning and twice at night, and i take a green serevent inhaler twice in the morning and twice at night.

My asthma nurse told me that if I needed to take my blue inhaler more than twice in a day (regularly, occasionally is ok) then my asthma wasn't being controlled well enough.
    Maybe you should have a chat/check-up with your asthma nurse or doctor and discuss peak flows and everything. It also sounds silly but many people take their inhalers incorrectly too and don't get the full benefit. Like Nicola I have a check up yearly with my asthma nurse who does peak flow, symptoms etc and I have spirometry too.

I only had my asthma review around 6 weeks ago, the nurse only checked my inhaler technique and peak flow she didn't do the lung siprometry thing.

She asked me afew questions and that was it really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information