Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashamed of my job

Ashamed of my job

After finally getting a job i've been working at a library for over a year now. The library holds lectures and debates so there is a lot of very well educated people working and visting the library. So when i tell people where i work they always seem really interested to hear about it. The only thing is i work as a cleaner and i can't bring myself to tell anyone, personally i don't think there is anything wrong with this work and i love it. I took the job because it was perfect to help control my anxiety, i don't have to work with the public and i only work with four other people.
    I haven't told anyone what it is i do and if they ask i just say i'm a general assistant and leave it at that. I actually like my job but all my other friends are teachers or have other professional jobs, in an ideal world i would tell them but i know people can be very judgemental even when they don't mean to be, i just couldn't face telling them and i'm just hoping i don't get found out. I just think it's the kind of thing i'll have to put up with.
    Any advice please?

Re: Ashamed of my job

By hiding it i think it will only add anxiety
    You have nothing to be ashamed of you are working and enjoying it not many people nowadays can say that
    If they judge you its them that have the problem not you

Your reaction is typical of social anxiety, the solution quite simply is to be prepared to accept that most people will not think negatively of you because you are a cleaner. There is nothing wrong with being a cleaner and I like most people will not think any the less of you for being one. Your anxiety is being caused by what you think other people might think of you, so you feel you have to lie or avoid the subject. But these are maintaining your anxiety in these situations, I know it's not easy but admit to being a cleaner and do not try to read what they might be thinking from their reactions. Very few of us can read body language accurately and even less minds. Once you start accepting this you anxiety in these situations will begin to subside.

Hope that helps

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Hey

My sister is a cleaner and she loves it!!!!

Im an undertaker....look on peoples faces....priceless lol

I lie about my job and say I work in an office(which I do) just leave out the manky bits LOL

Hold your head up high

Kaz x

As you said, people can be so judgmental, and that can destory confidence.

Cleaners are vital, without great cleaners like you Littlemissshy, the country would be a worse place.

Take Care

Matt.

I'm ashamed of my job but know I won't be doing it forever. I guess there is jobs you can be proud of and others you do for cash. It sounds normal but at the moment I'm sure working is a good thing and a job is a job there's millions being paid off in a recession who are worse of than you.

If you are not happy try looking for other jobs. I'm doing that but it's not easy finding one.

Hiya
    I think if you're working you should be proud of yourself. Sometimes when my anxiety and issues become too much I can't work, can't even leave my house !
    I think the fact that you're able to work is a HUGE success ! I think it is a great accomplishment that you've been able to find work that you love and I am so encouraged by your success at finding employment that is perfect for controlling your anxiety.
    I think you have incredible strength to search out and get this job and you should be super proud of yourself. People who suffer with anxiety have so many more hurdles to overcome and you're overcoming these hurdles beautifully-this is fantastic !
    Well done and be proud of yourself!
    Love-Bluebelle

Everyone thank you so much for your amazing words of encouragement, i felt stupid after i'd posted as i know people have a lot more serious problems but i'm glad i did.
    Thankyou all x

You know what..I recently started a cleaning job to try and get a bit of extra money leading up to my Finals at university. And I lasted ONE DAY, because it was, frankly, too hard physically. I have nothing but respect for cleaners of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissshy View Post
    Everyone thank you so much for your amazing words of encouragement, i felt stupid after i'd posted as i know people have a lot more serious problems but i'm glad i did.
    Thankyou all x
    Hi Littlemissshy..

I work in a school as an IT Technician and you would be amazed at the professional status of some of our cleaners all because it pays bills and there is no stress compared to the job they were originally in before events dictated. And that came from a cleaner. I have friends that would die for a caretaker position becasue they are sick of the stress in their current jobs so don't put yourself down. Be proud of what you do.

Mystic3178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information