Thread: doctors notes

doctors notes

The worrying thing is the doctors have your medical notes from the day you were born?
    Its not like a criminal record is it, that it goes after so many years? I was obsessive about going to the doctors in my early 20's. I'm late 30's now. And have changed doctors a few times since. And I actually hate going to the doctors now, so its like once a year! But do they look back at your notes & see you had health anxiety years ago?
    I actually dated a GP years ago, & didn't think to ask him. The only thing I asked him was the average age someone got lung cancer & he said at his surgery, the youngest was 40!
    What do you think?

Re: doctors notes

hiya, yeah I think they do keep from them from birth for reference if they ever needed to know something, so yeah they would probably know about the health anxiety but then again it depends how much they've actually read.. I do know of someone who has two folders of notes (from birth to current age lol) and I don't think that's uncommon!

Yes they definately start from birth. You could get a copy of them from your doctors surgery, most of them do it for free but some do charge, mine charged me £10.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah jayne View Post
    Yes they definately start from birth. You could get a copy of them from your doctors surgery, most of them do it for free but some do charge, mine charged me £10.
    Oh! I could do that. Not sure if I will like what I see though. Now its all gone computerised, does that mean the notes you will see, will only go up til they stopped writing them down?

Quote Originally Posted by Cell block H fan View Post
    The worrying thing is the doctors have your medical notes from the day you were born?
    Its not like a criminal record is it, that it goes after so many years? I was obsessive about going to the doctors in my early 20's. I'm late 30's now. And have changed doctors a few times since. And I actually hate going to the doctors now, so its like once a year! But do they look back at your notes & see you had health anxiety years ago?
    I actually dated a GP years ago, & didn't think to ask him. The only thing I asked him was the average age someone got lung cancer & he said at his surgery, the youngest was 40!
    What do you think?

I agree, i have just changed docs and he has no idea about me, and he keeps saying he has not got all my info, i end up telling him my past history every visit, surely a doc should review a new paitients records to enable him some idea of who or what he is dealing with? other wise wats the point of keeping records?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladychenet View Post
    I agree, i have just changed docs and he has no idea about me, and he keeps saying he has not got all my info, i end up telling him my past history every visit, surely a doc should review a new paitients records to enable him some idea of who or what he is dealing with? other wise wats the point of keeping records?
    Strange isn't it. I thought they might of been automatically sent on to the new surgery maybe.

I moved from one side of the country to the other and had to change doctors. My new doctor has computerised notes from when I started to see him. I guess prior to that my previous doctors practise would have written notes from when I was a baby and maybe computerised notes once computers came out.
    When I see my new doctor which isnt that often now I see him trying to read his moniter to get up to date with why I am there. They see that many people they dont remember everyone.

Thread Information