Thread: There's alot of it about!

There's alot of it about!

Hi there,

Peter is my name, 57 years old, married with one teenage daughter. I have been through the many stages of Health Anxiety. It started about 18 months ago with a high blood pressure reading. The GP eventually sorted the problem out with medication but mentally, for me, the road was hard and full of problems. I had CBT and eventually went on to AD drugs with did help. After about a year things started to come right and I got my life back quite well - started flying light aircraft again (ex service pilot). I stopped CBT and AD drugs and had a relatively good summer.

You might say - job done. But several short relapses have creep in and I find myself very anxious once more but equipped with my tools from CBT and the very helpful information from this excellent website I think I will be able to hold the line.

My story is no different from many of you. The one thing I feel is that this problem may, for many of us, never completely go away but with help it can be controlled to an acceptable level which I did achieve.

I feel I am entering a new phase where I will have to cope without CBT or AD drugs and this is going to be the biggest challenge so far.

God best all fellow sufferers,

Peter

Re: There's alot of it about!

Peter. Glad that you have found us. There is a brilliant book by a fellow sufferer Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self Help For Your Nerves'. This is available from the NMP shop and I can't recommend it enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and shows how we can recover. It sounds as though CBT has really helped you.

Veronica

Veronica,

Thanks for your support - I have ordered the book. I am determined to rid my life, as far as possible, of this very unpleasant disorder. It is so good to realise that there are literally thousands of others who feel the same, almost, unexplainable, condition as I have. Even though I had thought I almost had it beat. It just shows that it is a continuous process not to be relaxed for a day!

Many thanks

Peter

Glad that you have ordered it Peter. Let us know how you get on. Do not be phased by this setback as you have come a long way. This will get better.

Veronica

Thread Information