Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and how it effects your memory

Anxiety and how it effects your memory

Hi all

Was just wondering if its common for your memory to go to the dogs if you suffer from anxiety DP and DR. I find that a memory that once used to be very good, now comes across as very vague, and i find it difficult to remember things in the short term. Foe example taking the bus home, I try and remember my day and everything seems joined into one, I cant differentiate between what happened, everything seems muddled and vague. If I look back about a year I find it difficult to remember anything, and it makes me doubt myself, i seems to forget what type of person i was then...you knwo how it is, basically it is very difficult to explain any feelings with anxiety, but it feels like im lost in my own head, my own world, and everything seems flat...everything seems a blur....

please Help

Alfie

Hi Alfie

I think its quite common to have this memory problem. Anxious people naturally allow everything to build up into huge problems inside their minds and we don't break things down into manageable pieces. It must be hard for our brains to function properly with all this 'madness' going on inside!!
    When I'm at my most anxious I feel sort of floaty around other people and distant, I feel like I don't belong and as you said 'lost in my own head'. Your certainly not alone with these feelings.

Jem xxx

Hi Alfie

Welcome to the forum. Memory problems are common as the emotional arousal from anxiety makes it difficult to think clearly and when anxious so much time is spent focusing on the negative thoughts that there isn't much room for anything else.

Have a read of the First Steps and Symptoms articles.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Alfie.

I too suffer with Derealization. I can relate to everything you said. Just to let you know your not alone and that your symptoms are all anxiety based. Your probably focusing inward too much and need to be focusing outward more. I have found that this is very hard to do but it can be done.

Paul

Hi Alfie,

My names erm..... I've fogrotten!!! sorry couldn't resist.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for what feels like a life time.
    I forget things all the time, sometimes my short term memory goes and I cant remember what I had just done or said.
    I have even had conversations with my boyfriend, which I can never remember, but he has got on to this now, and likes to make things up sometimes which is really mean!!! but unfortunately for some, (I know it can offend some people!) we both try and make a joke out of it as we have been through so much poo together!
    Try not to worry, as sometimes forgetting things can be a benefit to you!

I also drift off to a completely other world, even mid conversation. I don't know I'm doing it or how long i've been "away". I think that may be the meds though.
    Take care, and keep your chin up love.

Love
    Looby
    xxxxx

Yep, memory probs here as well. I also suffer from DR/DP.

Thanks for the help guys, really a big help...

If I had to go onto medication would this take away the dp/dr and at least give me my mind back which feels trapped? Once the anxiety has gone, does this mean all would be back to normal - basically is it DEF the anxiety, and not something I will have forever????

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated

Alf x

Hi Alfie
    try not to worry so much about this memory problem, it is just another symptom of anxiety, the more you try to remember the worse it will seem, anxiety does that, it makes us focus on the things we would hate to happen, or dread happening, in this your case, it sounds like loosing your memory frightens you so therefore the anxiety has found just another thing to drive you into more panic, i know i'll sound flipant here but do try and relax and try to say to yourself so what if i can't remember some things, if you were loosing your memory for real, you wouldnt be this aware of it )

take care
    sharon xxxxx

I can totally relate to what you are saying. Personally, I didn't feel unreal until I started taking Prozac. But, yeah, it's an anxiety thing. All the adrenaline buzzing round in your head makes it very hard to concentrate, which means that you don't absorb information as readily as others. I also find that if I'm having a conversation with somebody I either drift off while they're talking, hear my own words and feel very conscious and unreal about what I am saying or I feel quite panicky and anxious.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I know that I haven't been well for 3 years, yet 2 years ago (when I was probably at my worst), I didn't have much problem driving on motorways or going away from home, yet I do now. I don't remember there being any break in my illness, so how come I didn't feel too ill when I did that?!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Yes it is very common both to find your memory is slower and that you can't concentrate as well or make decisions quickly.

Not sure where to post

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information