Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore tongue and mouth breathing

Sore tongue and mouth breathing

Hi all

Been suffering from a sore tongue for a week or so. Common sense says it's a combination of things including what I eat/drink, crazy teeth etc; personal demon, of course, is shouting 'Cancer!' I was wondering whether anyone else on here breathes mainly through their mouth? I do, owing to a sinus problem, especially when I'm asleep, and I find it dries my mouth out a lot, which may contribute to my soreness, pluss the fact that it's quite cracked as well. My dental hygienist says that could be down to dehydration or a b12 deficiency. So many possibilities and still the scariest is the one that seems likliest. Anyone else got any experience with this?

Re: Sore tongue and mouth breathing

I was diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome a year ago, has your dentist suggested it could be that.

di xx

Nope, no mention of that. What does it feel like?

A burning tongue and i too got spooked by it, but its nothing major and no real cure, do ask him about it.

di xx

I had this last year and it drove me mad. sore/burning tongue down one side, which got worse as the day wore on. Just try and forget about it and it will eventually go. I think I was subconciously making it sore by constantly checking it out!

Does sound something like my problem, which comes and goes and seems better in the evening. Must admit the b12 thing struck a chord with me as I don't eat red meat and I believe that's where a lot of our b12 requirement tends to come from?

My mum has it at the moment. The doc normally gives her some stuff to put on it when it flares up. But she thinks hers might be her false teeth! But she cant afford implants at the moment. She wonders if she is allergic to them! It can also be damaged teeth, vitimin deficiancy, & also medication you're taking.
    Sometimes things dont end up with an explanation even, & just pass eventually. x

i ate enough red meat and still had a sore tongue. drink plenty of fluids as that will help. Both anxiety and mouth breathing dries the mouth, and the tongue is a pretty sensitive piece of kit. tell yourself that its just a irritant and nothing serious and it will pass. If you are still worried, get a blood test to see if you are lacking any vitamins or minerals.

Why don't you buy a wee bottle of vitamin b tablets. I think sometime a lack of b vitamins can cause this. Also you can take thrush in your mouth and it makes your tongue sore. You can buy tabs for this as well. Hope it gets better soon.

Myra

Yes I think I shall drop by the chemists on the way home and see if they have a bottle, can't do any harm. Might ask their advice too. Thanks for all suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information