Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No teeth!!!!! Feeling very dispondent :-(

Unhappy No teeth!!!!! Feeling very dispondent :-(

Some of you already know what's going on with me and the dentist, but for those who don't, I'll start from the beginning!!
    For the past few years I had a very strong fear of going to the dentist...it wasn't a fear of the treatment, it was because my teeth were/are in a very poor condition! The truth be told I was embarrassed ! I was scared I would get told off like a naughty school girl who hadn't done her homework...so continuously even when suffering with toothache and abscesses put it off!
    Now a few weeks back my thoughts were running away with me as usual and I suddenly got it in my head I had something wrong with me and the only way I would get this fear out of my mind was by going to the dentist and getting my mouth checked! So here I was in a position where I had to combat one fear to get rid of another!!
    Anyway...I did it and was so proud of myself....and I never even got told off!!! LOL Even then I thought to myself why had I put it off for so long! Anyway after that the dentist said he was able to save 6 teeth at the front bottom and 3 at the top front!
    So I had to go back, feeling a little less anxious and worried but still very anxious due to my anxiety! I sat for 2 hours in the dentist chair whilst he filled my front teeth making them look normal again!!!
    I was so chuffed...I could semi smile again!! He also refered me to the hospital to have the remaining teeth he wasnt able to save taken out under general anesthetic.
    So today I had an appointment to go and see the consultant at the hospital who had me have Xrays before I spoke to him. It now turns out that it was really a waste of time them trying to save my teeth and that the best option would be for me to have ALL my teeth removed!!!

So here I am tonight thinking about it TOO much as i do!!! Thinking what will I look like with no teeth!!!??? That I will have to go 2-3 months after having them taken out before I can have false teeth fitted!!! I have social anxiety as it is and find it hard leaving the house....how am I ever going to find the courage to do things like go to the shops and see other people when I'll have no teeth in my mouth!!! I'm just finding it really hard tonight!!!!

Thanks for listening!!! Also thanks to those who have supported me through this the past few weeks!!!!!

Hugs Claire xxxxxxxxx

Re: No teeth!!!!! Feeling very dispondent :-(

oh hunny to start im so very very proud of you or going and for stickig withit, i hve known meny poeple with fauls teeth there is nothing wrong with it and everyoen will love fyou just s much yr such an amazing person an insprathion to me with how much yr coping with everyting being thrown at you well done hunny

it is possible to make you immediate dentures as a temporary measure. Your dentist would make them before the appointment to have extractions and then they are fitted as soon as teeth removed. These would only be temporary and only last 3 to 6 months before you would need new ones. Of course if you pay it would mean paying for 2 sets but its worh having a word with your dentist to discuss all options

Aww Claire hun

First of all, a massive well done for going - I know how difficult it was for you.

The prospect of having to live for a time with no teeth must be hard for you to come to terms with but maybe it wont be as bad as you think. We often think, that when we are out and about - especially with social anxiety - that people are scrutinising us in every detail, when in fact, they are usually too wrapped up in what they are doing or worrying what WE are thinking of them to even barely notice us when we feel vulnerable.

How often have you not noticed that someone has started/stopped wearing glasses or something? But for them its massive.

My ex husband had quite a large mole on his chin. Apart from always seeming to catch it when shaving (ha ha lol) he was really bothered by how it looked.
    He took time off work and arranged to have the mole operated on to get rid of it once and for all. After the op, he went back to work, no mole but with 4 stitches. Most of the people he worked with were really concerned that he had had a fall and hurt himself because of the obvious stitches.
    He explained about the mole ..... the reaction 'What mole?' Nobody had even noticed it in the first place!!

One thing I will say Claire. Please make sure having all your teeth out is the best option for YOU, not that it might make the procedure easier for them.

You'll get through it hun. I know being able to smile properly again is what you want most so that in itself will drive you forward. Try to think of the goal and not too much of the process

Love Sue xxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by hopers View Post
    oh hunny to start im so very very proud of you or going and for stickig withit, i hve known meny poeple with fauls teeth there is nothing wrong with it and everyoen will love fyou just s much yr such an amazing person an insprathion to me with how much yr coping with everyting being thrown at you well done hunny
    Thanks hunni.....you've been a massive support to me too over the past few weeks!!

Quote Originally Posted by den68 View Post
    it is possible to make you immediate dentures as a temporary measure. Your dentist would make them before the appointment to have extractions and then they are fitted as soon as teeth removed. These would only be temporary and only last 3 to 6 months before you would need new ones. Of course if you pay it would mean paying for 2 sets but its worh having a word with your dentist to discuss all options
    I've been told I have to wait for this amount of time without anything so my gums can heal properly...but I will look into it thanks xxx

Thanks Sue hun, really appreciate all your support and words of wisdom!!

They could keep my 2 top front teeth in and the same at the bottom, but they wont last much longer so will need them taking out in the near future anyway! so rather than have to go through more treatment and anxiety over more treatment, I've decided as hard as it was to do it all at the same time!

I am trying very hard to look at the positive side of this!!!

Hugs and thanks again

Claire xxxxxxxxxx

I have dental phobia and have huge issues with my teeth!
    They are so bad that I sometimes wonder what it was like when I didn't have pain because of them!!
    Still haven't gotten the guts to go and get them checked!
    I know it may not mean much because we don't know each other well but I am SO SO proud of you!!!
    I know what the fear is like and for you to push thru it and go is such a huge accomplishment!!
    You will make it thru the waiting period too!
    Just keep telling yourself how great it will be to have a brand new set of choppers!
    I can just see it now once you get them....
    Your cheeks are going to hurt so bad from smiling and showing them off!

xxxxxxxxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Thanks Sue hun, really appreciate all your support and words of wisdom!!

They could keep my 2 top front teeth in and the same at the bottom, but they wont last much longer so will need them taking out in the near future anyway! so rather than have to go through more treatment and anxiety over more treatment, I've decided as hard as it was to do it all at the same time!

I am trying very hard to look at the positive side of this!!!
    Speaking as someone who had her last tooth removed yesterday, I wish I'd done it ages ago. Like you, I was terrified of having them all out at once, so I insisted on keeping the ones I could. I've had toothache and agony with each one that has since been removed. I started having to have the top front 5 removed. I was given a temporary plate straight away. It wasn't too successful as my gum shrank as it healed, but it stayed in with the fixative you can buy. I got my permanent plate about 2 months later and extra teeth have been added to the plate as my own were removed. Now the plate fits snuggly and I don't even need fixative. The bottom one annoys me at times - my tongue tends to lift it, but my OH says he wouldn't know, it's just me that feels it. It's great to stand in front of the mirror and give a big grin - my new teeth look so good! I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks maddie so much, those few words as well as everyone elses is slowly helping me to deal with this situation!!
    My problem is I really need to stop worrying about what people think of me...and start to love myself for who I am. I know I'm a nice person and would do anything for anyone...I love to help other people too....I guess I always just wanted to feel accepted if that makes sense!!
    Maybe one day I beable to look in that mirror and look at myself and say "yeah Claire you are beautiful!!" but not only face value...beautiful from within too!!!

Aww guys thanks so much for being here for me.....I really do appreciate it....NMP is like my 2nd family now!!!!

Hugs Claire xxxxxxxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information