Thread: Referred to hospital - Anybody with experience/advice? (Endoscopy)

Referred to hospital - Anybody with experience/advice? (Endoscopy)

Hi all,

I have just got home from seeing my doctor, to see if my blood tests were normal and to ask if anxiety is the reason I’m having loose stools, wind and pressure feelings below.

Well, he told me that my ALT was reading 76, which it was 60 four weeks ago and I can not believe what happened, I actually broke down in his office (35 year old).

He was good with me, he knows just how hard it is to cope with everyday anxietys. I explained that I’m upset as my ALT has raised and I’m worried my liver is packing up and it is the cause of my loose stools etc.

After he calmed me down, he said he would refer me to see somebody about my bowels and liver urgently as he is worried about my anxiety, which started me off tearfull again.

He said they would properly do an Endoscopy and blood tests for different things, could even be IBS.

Can anybody with experience of going through this help me?

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I’m not sure how I’m to cope until then, how do I keep positive and what tests do I have installed for me when I get referred?

Regarding the hospital, how long will it take until I get referred, having the Endoscopy how can I request sedation, will it hurt me, is it game over for me etc?

Christmas is around the corner, how can I get happy?

Red
    Last edited by reddevil; 08-10-09 at 17:51.

Re: Referred to hospital - Anybody with experience/advice? (Endoscopy)

hi Red, I had upper Endoscopy a few years ago and there is a sedative available, please ask to have that as it will make the procedure easier, I didn't take the sedative and wished that I had just because of my own anxiety. The doctor will put a camera down your throat to look at your stomach and it's the best way to look at things down there. Try keep yourself distracted until your test appointment comes up. My results were a scarred ulcer and duodenitis, and I take Omeprazole to control that. I also have had some symptoms that you mention and that is down to me having irritble bowel syndrome. try not to worry i know its not eeasy, i have an mri coming up soon and am dreading that but trying not to think about it till the day is here. Good luck with all hun let me know how it goes, take care. xx

One thing they check if your liver enzymes are a bit wonky is to do an ultrasound of your gallbladder etc to make sure you don't have a gallstone causing a problem for your liver - its incredibly common and does not always give pain. So anyone with raised levels gets on of these although mostly there is no reason. You haven't taken any antifungal tablets in last 6 monhts have you??? my friend had your problem and it was from a fungal toenail infection nearly a year before and the drugs affect your liver - just a thought.

hi red, i was refered to endoscopy unit couple of weeks ago cuz of loose stools and abdominal pain and weight loss, i'm 23.

Doc there wanted me to have a ct scan of chest, abdomen and pelvic area, which i had today, u may have one of these too, my actual endoscopy is this coming tuesday.

Ct scan was ok, had to have some dye put in too, u just move through a donut shaped thing and then dye was put into my vein, all i got was a metallic taste and down below went very warm lol.

The endoscopy i've been told is just uncomfortable more than anything and i'll be having sedation for sure.

Chin up mate it might not be too bad in the end, i know what u mean tho, i'm worried myself.

Good luck - Gaz

Hi,

You said he was going to refer your bowels and liver because of your ANXIETY - not because of your bowels and liver! Take heart in this. It doesn't sound as though it's your intestines he's worried about. Don't worry about the tests - you can have sedation with invasive tests and you shouldn't remember anything about it if you have been sedated enough. I had an endoscopy done without sedation through choice and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, not pleasant but quick. These tests will put your mind at rest. Whatever the outcome is people can live normal lives with the right treatment nowadays. Try not to get yourself stressed out about it all. Your doctor seems to be interested in you and your symptoms. Let us know how you get on.
    Myra

Quote Originally Posted by myra View Post
    Hi,

You said he was going to refer your bowels and liver because of your ANXIETY - not because of your bowels and liver! Take heart in this. It doesn't sound as though it's your intestines he's worried about. Don't worry about the tests - you can have sedation with invasive tests and you shouldn't remember anything about it if you have been sedated enough. I had an endoscopy done without sedation through choice and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, not pleasant but quick. These tests will put your mind at rest. Whatever the outcome is people can live normal lives with the right treatment nowadays. Try not to get yourself stressed out about it all. Your doctor seems to be interested in you and your symptoms. Let us know how you get on.
    Myra
    When i went for a colonoscopy 18 months ago they gave me sedation but i remember everything clearly, i thought it just relaxed u? It did make me come over all camp tho lol

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    One thing they check if your liver enzymes are a bit wonky is to do an ultrasound of your gallbladder etc to make sure you don't have a gallstone causing a problem for your liver - its incredibly common and does not always give pain. So anyone with raised levels gets on of these although mostly there is no reason. You haven't taken any antifungal tablets in last 6 monhts have you??? my friend had your problem and it was from a fungal toenail infection nearly a year before and the drugs affect your liver - just a thought.
    Hi,

I take amitriptyline on a daily base (50mg) but my doctor said my liver tests in May were ok, so I can not see why it would be this medication but at least twice a week I have been taking imodium, which I'm not sure if this does stay in your system for some time.

Something, which I can remember my doctor saying was that if it was cancer then the other LFT level would be high, which mine is very low, I'm just tryinf to grab as many positivies as I can.

Red

you will be fine honestly , you know what my liver levels are as ive said in our pms ,yours is nothing to worry about i know its hard and i understand that im still goni8g through what you are anxiety levels are enourmous,it makes things a hundred times worse speak soon
    amandaxx

Hello all,

Does anybody suffer with thin flat stools because this is what I'm mostly getting and I have read it could be IBS or something more worring.

Red

Thread Information