Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The day after taking 20mg of Cipramil.....not good

The day after taking 20mg of Cipramil.....not good

Hello
    So its the day after taking 20mg of Cipramil last night and to put it lightly i feel awful. I didnt sleep at all, lay there most the night with my heart pounding. Got up about 8 and felt sick, almost fell over because i cant see straight, really shaky, really anxious and feel as if i am about to have a panic attack at any moment. I rang my doctor and he said he had never heard of a reaction like this? But after doing a bit of reading on here it seems quite normal?
    Im not going to carry on taking these as i cant bare to feel like this again. Think i am going to carry on with therapy and see how the non drug route goes! Unless anyone can recommend any other types of anti-depressants that have milder side effects? Will talk to my doctor about that question though.

Re: The day after taking 20mg of Cipramil.....not good

im on day 7 of my meds and my anxiety is through the roof yesterday and today i rang my doc and he said this is normal for this to happen try not to worry as this will make ya anx worse i no its hard i keep telling myself the same thing but stick with them good luck if ya wanna talk just pm me take care xx

did you start straight on 20mg if you did id half the dose untill you get used to it and then put it up

yeah i was put on 20mg straight away. to be honest i dont think im going to carry on taking it. i really dont want to feel how i do today again and think im going to persevere with therapy or talk to my doctor about another type of anti depressant

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Therapy and antidepressants can work well together. You should try half the dose and if you still feel really bad then talk to your doc about other options. Some people find it difficult going straight onto 20mg - but to be fair, that is the usual effective dose of citalopram, it's just that some people don't react well in the beginning and need to increase gradually.

Hi,

Yes, I'd ask the doctor if I could take half the dose. I felt like this after taking fluoxetine for 3 days and wouldn't put myself through that again and I'm no cissie!! It was a relief to come off them. If they really don't suit you then there are others. Speak to your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
    Myra

I'd keep taking it, the side effects usually disappear within 2 weeks of starting. I'm afraid to say it's the same with all anti depressants. All have side effects when you first start taking them because the tablets are changing the levels of serotonin in your brain so it does make you feel rough for a while then suddenly it will hopefully kick in and you will feel better.

Also take your tablets about an hour before with a glass of milk or a slice of toast (just something small). It helps the tablet settle in the stomach better and you should sleep through the worst of the symptoms.

Please don't give up though as I'm afraid the side effects are what virtually all medicines for anxiety and depression cause when first starting them

there was no way i could have coped with 20mg to start i chopped mine up started on 5mg then 10mg then 15mg and at weekend will go to 20mg. I found the side effects not too bad that way

thankyou for all the advice! i wish i had known a bit about the side effects before hand, but if i had then i wouldnt have started taking them i dont think. i think im going to stop taking them and see a psychiatrist who can maybe diagnose what is actully going on and carry on with the therapy. if i do start on them again then at least il be somewhat prepared i guess?

Lots of people I know have taken anti-depressants with virtually no side effects so don't worry if you ever have to take them again to make you feel better. It's just a matter of your doctor giving you the right one.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Myra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information