Thread: low blood sugar? Help!

low blood sugar? Help!

HI!

For the past 2 weeks I have been having attacks of real weakness and shaking that occurs when I haven't eaten for 4 hours or so. I feel so weak that i have to sit down immediately and eat something. after 10 - 15 minutes it passes. It is different from a normal panic attack and is not associated with hypoventilation or anything.

I find that anx. stops me eating and I have become very thin.much thinner than normal - could it be this?

I have done the dreaded thing and googled ' low blood sugar' and it has come back with loads of horrible reasons, diabetes/pancreatic tumours.although it has said nothing about feeling this just from lack of food or skipping meals..

Has anyone else suffered from this?

I know that i should go and see the doc but it is really, really difficult to get blood tests done in my area ( the only way is to go to the borough hospital and wait at least 2 hours) I dont' want to go charging down there stressing myself out even more if this is something that may just go away on its own. I am sure all 'hospital phobics' will understand!

any ideas would be much appreciated.. I am starting to 'fear it coming on' even when it is not there..as if i needed anything else to worry about!!

Re: low blood sugar? Help!

Look up hypoglycemia - it could be that.

Loads of posts on here about it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It's probably just hypoglycemia b/c it seems to be directly related to eating/not eating. I have it too. Try keeping some trail mix or something nearby and snacking every 45 minutes or every hour. That should keep your blood sugar level from dropping. Also avoid eating large meals before bed, lay off the sugar, alcohol and caffeine, and try to get more exercise.

You should start feeling better soon!

Hi,
    I know what you mean about the weakness and shakiness. I have quite a physical job and for some reason i find it hard to eat before 3pm so i work on an empty stomach. I have had attacks similar to what you describe and a couple of times i've felt close to fainting. I'm trying to push myself into having breakfast because i know how important it is but it usually just makes me feel sick.

I know it's not exactly the same thing but when my brother was at school he would get light headedness and get a bit spaced out.
    He saw the doctor who said it was likely to be low blood sugar and he suggested carrying sugary orange squash around with him to drink whenever he felt light headed.
    This seemed to cure him and as far as i know he's never had it since! (he's now 28).

Chrissie it most certainly seems to be low blood sugars i get them every so often and like you have to sit down and eat it usually passes after 15 mins or so Carbs are good to keep levels stable so maybe have some at breakfast . Hope this sorts it out take care

Margaret

Thank you for all your kind responses. I am going to try and focus on what I am eating more and hopefully it will go away. wont run to the docs just yet....

X
    Chrissie

Definately hypoglacemia (low blood sugars)... i have attacks if i dont watch when and what im eating.... it will make your go weak, trembling, sweating, the inability to function normally, sometimes foggy mind.

The way to minimise this is to eat small snacks between meals.. just a couple of crackers will do the trick.. oat cakes are great and healthy. You need to minimise any sugar from your diet and if you must eat sugary foods, eat them with or immediately after a meal not as a stand alone snack.. same goes for sugary drinks.

Buy some fructose tablets from the chemist and keep in your bag/pocket... if you have an attack chew a couple but always eat something solid like a sandwich within about ten mins to level things out.

This is a really annoying condition but you can control it yourself if you follow the rules.

All the best
    mand x

Thread Information