Thread: strange things!

strange things!

Today i was reading a book that was recommended on the website "WHat to say when you talk to yourself". Then i started getting all scared and freaked out even though i have no idea why.. I reckon maybe its because i started wondering about the vastness of the brain. I tend to get really freaked out recently by how things work and the how little we don't know about the world and universe and things.. I think i may have also been worried that i wsn't thinking properly because i was wondering about thoughts any why they're there any why people say they're just thoughts, does that mean they're unimportant, if so where'd they come from????

I have had the feelings about the world and how big it is etc.

It is part of depersonalisation and it does pass in time.

Nicola

Try this post as well that I just remembered.

the sky

Nicola

Thanks for your replies, I hope it'll pass, i keep thinking i'm nearly better then something like this happens but i think someone maybe meg said before that you have these thoughts when you're getting better as your mind stops focusing just on yourself and internally and starts focusing on the world around!!!
    I'm just worried that maybe because of this anxiety my way of thinking and mind has changed and i'm going to have these weird thoughts constantly.
    Nigel, i liked your post because it really does seem as if i want to know the whys of everything rather than just accepting thats how things are!! your second paragraph really explained it well!!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks for your replies, I hope it'll pass, i keep thinking i'm nearly better then something like this happens but i think someone maybe meg said before that you have these thoughts when you're getting better as your mind stops focusing just on yourself and internally and starts focusing on the world around!!!
    I'm just worried that maybe because of this anxiety my way of thinking and mind has changed and i'm going to have these weird thoughts constantly.
    Nigel, i liked your post because it really does seem as if i want to know the whys of everything rather than just accepting thats how things are!! your second paragraph really explained it well!!

<div align="right">Originally posted by neonpink_smurf - 12 November 2005 : 21:56:07</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Sorry about that that.

Actually, anxiety does change our minds, but not in a permanent way. Our minds have many different programs that run. There are programs for problem-solving, emotions, creativity, etc. But the oldest and most primitive program we have is the Fight or Flight program and this is where anxiety comes from. The problem is, when this primitive program is running, it supresses the other programs, and anxiety like most of us are experiencing is caused by this program being stuck in a loop. But there IS hope. The key is to trick it into thinking it should be turned off.

Think of it as if you were being chased by a tiger. Would you want to stop and eat? Would you want to breathe slowly without a care? Would you want to work on something creative or solve a problem? Would your heart rate remain normal? No. That is why all those things get disrupted. What you actually want to do is get scared and run for your life, and those are the symptoms that anxiety forces upon us.

If you do the opposite of those things though, you can trick the Fight or Flight program into switching off temporarily. The best way for me to do this is to start with a breathing exersise. Square breathing, which is a method of breathing while counting works best, and is actually a basic form of meditation.

Sit comfortably in a chair or recliner, and relax all the parts of your body. You'll still be thinking about your anxiety. Just let the thoughts proceed and intentionally relax every part of your body. Say to yourself "my feet are heavy and asleep" and work your way up. Then, breathe into your diaphram (not your chest) slowly while counting 1-2-3-4 (not out loud). Hold your breathe while counting 1-2-3-4. Then exhale all the way out while counting 1-2-3-4. Hold for 1-2-3-4. Repeat that several times or for several minutes until you feel calm.

What the breathing does is trick the F or F program because you would never do that if being chased by a tiger. Also, the conscious counting helps to block the anxious thoughts racing thru your mind. It makes you focus on something else. It's like a roadblock for anxiety and stress. I do this everyday now, sometimes for 30 minutes, and it helps tremedously.

You can make this even better by doing it while listening to a guided meditation CD. The CD will have a person with a calming voice walk you thru the relaxation and breathing, and then walk you thru some pleasent journey using your imagination. You can do a google search for "guided mediation" + "anxiety" and find some good links. Also, amazon.com is a good place to find some.

I hope this was helpful. I didn't mean to sound clinical, but I wanted you to understand that what you are going thru is normal and curable.

Sorry, that should be "guided imagery", not "guided meditation".

Wink Worries are Thoughts

A wise man taught me that every worry we have is based on a thought, and what you must bear in mind is that you control the thought, and can dismiss it. Obviously this is easier said than done, but it has really helped me maintain a calmer and more controlled attitude. Underneath every thought, when there are no thoughts at all, you have a peaceful, calm state, which is what people try to acheive through meditation. By reminding yourself that your worry is just a thought, that belongs to you, it becomes easier to stay calm. I often take a moment to do this, and calm myself down with brething techniques if I strt to feel anxious. For example, the thoughts that worry me most of all, are that I might be crazy, or prone to doing crazy things. Without this thought, I know that I'd be calmer. However, I used to give this thought a lot of headspace, and it would be as though I am watching myself, and trying to prove that I'm not crazy, which would usually bring on an anxiety attack. When I remember that it's just a thought, I notice that I start to feel more like myself again. It's not that you ARE thoughts, it's that you HAVE thoughts

Re: strange things!

I know exactly what you mean. I get all out of it and spooked when I think about things like that too.
    Like how big the universe is, how high the sky is, how I would hate to be stuck in the middle of the ocean cause it's soooo deep. But those are just things that freak me out.
    I get panic attacks when I think of the brain and alternate universes and the way different people think and what reality really IS.
    That sends me off the deep end.
    But I hope you've been practicing calming and positive thoughts and breathing techniques. It really works.
    I hope you start feeling a lot better in the future. May your thoughts be pleasant.

Thread Information