Thread: Cure for depression !

Cure for depression !

Hi all,
    I don't post here that much but I had to post this video because of the potential implications it has people who suffer from depression and humanity as a whole. It's truly beyond science fiction !

I came across it in a round-a-bout way, it's from a Google Tech talk (I work in software).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLdSbp6VjM

It's a long, technical video so many won't watch it I'm sure but here are the key points of the video.

• Scientists know that depression (even anxiety/ocd) is a serious worldwide problem that is only getting worse.
    • Current treatments involve drugs and/or electro-stimulation/shock type treatments. Both have a lot of side effects and don't always work.
    • If scientists could control the "neurons" in the brain they could turn parts of the brain on and off e.g. the part that is causing depression/anxiety/alzheimers or any other brain disease.
    • Scientists have now found a way to control parts of the brain without using drugs.
    • Go to 13 minutes into the video and watch how the scientists could turn on a very specific part of the brain in a rat to make it walk around in circles, and then switch it off again.....using light as the stimulus, NOT drugs and NOT electroshock type treatment.
    • Go to 30 minutes and watch the application of this as it relates to depression.
    • This new treatment targets very specific areas with no 'collateral damage.

Even though the video is very technical I would suggest you watch all of it, it is hugely inspiring and hopeful even if it's just a 'little bit' scary too.

I really think depression will be a thing of the past in our lifetime.

There is always hope !!!!!

LuckyLuke.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 20-11-09 at 14:35.

My GAD blog:
    http://gadman-diary.blogspot.com/

Smile Re: Cure for depression !

Thanks LuckyLuke for posting your video. It gives me hope that one day there will be an alternative treatment for people with depression who can't, won't or don't want to take drugs. I shall definitely be near the front of the queue.

Thread Information