Thread: TMJ and Tooth Pain, Please Help!

TMJ and Tooth Pain, Please Help!

I am having a stressful day and have the worst TMJ pain. I have bad teeth, a lot of root canals and always worry that I may have another tooth acting up or developing an abscess. My question is this...when you get TMJ, do you have a pain right in your temple where your sideburn area is and above and does it travel to your lower jaw, right below your earlobe where the point is...and along your chin line? Do you use ice or heat? This is SO painful and nothing ever shows up on an x-ray toothwise. Do you feel it in your teeth and if so, which ones. Also, do you sometimes feel it in both your upper AND lower, or alternating?

I know I am asking a lot of questions but want to know what other people experience. I can't keep running to the dentist, can't afford it. If I know other people get this, it may help me. It is so horrible to be focused on this all day and worse when I think about it!

Re: TMJ and Tooth Pain, Please Help!

Hi Ive had loads of trouble with my teeth & jaw due to clenching my teeth when Im stressed. I had headaches, pains in ears & all of my jaw. I found that some days my bottom teeth would hurt then the next day my upper teeth would hurt. On the really bad days all my teeth would hurt. It got so bad that even breathing in made my teeth hurt. I use sensodyne toothpaste the new one its in like an aerosol can & listerine mouthwash and touch wood they have stopped hurting. I went to the dentist twice but both times he couldnt see anything wrong. Im also really concious now of not gritting my teeth. I hope this has helped and made you feel a bit better xxxx

Hi Lauren. I am suffering from a similar thing myself at the moment. After having a filling replaced, and done again because it wasnt right, I have started clenching my teeth. I am getting pain in my lower teeth, the back ones and it alternates from side to side. I also get ear pain and pressure, in my ears and below the earlobe as you describe. I know that tmj can definitely cause the headaches you mention as well. I have been to the dentist a total of 7 times in the last 9 weeks and had all the tests done and there is nothing wrong with my teeth so I have got a soft night guard to wear which so far is not doing much at all. The thing is with the dentist, if there is no decay or other obvious problems they cant do much.

So I can totally sympathise with you and what you are going through. I think stress has a lot to do with this. Are you on any medication at the moment? I am not and I am not keen but I'm thinking that maybe I need something to break out of this cycle of worry as I cant think about anything else. I have just been taking the ordinary over the counter painkillers, probably too many really, but they dont have much effect. I've also starting taking magnesium as its supposed to help with relaxing the muscles as well as various other vitamins. I am going to the doc on monday so I will see what she says.

I am sorry if I havent come up with any solutions but wanted you to know that you are not alone. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more. Good luck.

Hi, i suffer from TMJ and i know exactly how you feel. mines been playing up for the past week or so all due to going on the beach when it was really windy. i get terrible ear pain, my teeth always hurt when it plays up, as for the pain near your temple oh yes, that is what i get, sometimes its like a bruise, very tender. under my earlobe is also painful but i also sometimes get swelling in my face which is one of the more rare syptoms of TMJ. i just have to be aware of it now, make sure i dont eat anything to chewy, try not to shout ( yeah right i have 2 kids lol ), and make sure i support my chin when i yawn, stress makes it worse, i have a mouth gaurd but its not really done much to be honest. i to got toothpaste for sensitive teeth and it dose help the pain. but as for the TMJ its just something i have to live with. i find that if i settle down in bed with a nice hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case just chilling out and having it rest on the side that is hurting it really does help. or soak in the bath and let the warm water just lap around your jaw.
    your not alone babes. hope you feel better soon

Thanks to everyone who replied. Humly, I am not on any medication. I saw your post about elavil, I was once on it for chronic tooth pain. It helped somewhat but years later, it returned. I know I should get a mouth guard but in the middle of getting a possible bridge so it would be a waste or money for now.

Thread Information