Thread: Alcohol concerns/experiences

Alcohol concerns/experiences

I have not touched alcohol for about six months, ever since having a very very horrible experience with anxiety and hangovers..

Im just about to graduate college and I'd love to have a beer or two!! I miss having a drink.

I don't want to go over board, the most id have is two drinks.

Im wanting to know what peoples experiences are with drinking and anxiety? Especially if anyone is on Escitalopram?

Im worried that it will affect my medication and that I will have panic attacks and such... I just want to be prepared so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies... I really appreciate it.

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Re: Alcohol concerns/experiences

I think its fine to drink with escitalopram, I drink with Citalopram(very similar drug) and it hasnt killed me yet. Hangovers can increase your anxiety its true, but it does help if you properly nourish yourself before drinking and the day after. I think its only when you're drinknig heavily regularly that you start to ruin the effects of your antidepressants, as thats what happened to me when i was on venlafaxine and then mirtazipine. i was drinknig so much that it just nullified the effects of the antidepressants.

As far as im aware, and in my personal experience theres no real problem drinking whilst on SSRIs for ther most part.

Thanks for your reply Danath. I think your right, a few drinks here and there can't hurt. I suppose I'm just scared of drinking, having a panic attack and being drawn back to the time when I had a really bad experience..

after I cut down from drinknig massive amounts I ended up nervous abotu drinking again, but im almost jsut right now, comfortable with it but not drinking too much. you can be too.

im on lexapro and drink normally. If I over do it, i can get bad anxiety and once a full blown panic attack, but if u drink as normal, you should be fine. I spoke to my doc about it and he wasn't concerned about it.

I'm taking Cipalex and i drink normally with no adverse effects or worsening hangovers. I know its different for different people but i have read that there are no proven interactions with alcohol and cipralex...there defo isnt with me!

Thanks for your reply Shotokansho.

I have had a beer twice now and I feel fine afterwards!!

Yay!! hehe. xx

It's reassuring to hear other people's experiences. I've cut down a lot but I still drink occasionally. It stops the meds from working. Mine were working really well until I got drunk the other night and they haven't started working again. When I feel bad, I end up drinking, so I end up feeling worse... ultimately you have to know your limit and not go past it... don't get drunk!! Have fun though! xx

Thanks Lior... xx

Thread Information