Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lymphoma at 17? unlikely i know...but still...

lymphoma at 17? unlikely i know...but still...

well it's been a while since i've been to these forums, and i guess you could say that's a good thing. i've been on 20 mg of celexa for about 2 months and things have gotten much better since i started it! i feel like me again, and although i don't like to endorse anti-anxiety drugs, this has really worked. anyhoo, i've had swollen glands in my neck for about 2 months, including one m&m-sized lump under my chin. It hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller for that matter, but when i squish around in my neck with my fingers, i feel a lot of these, but are a bit smaller. My mom has told me over and over again that you don't get lymphoma when you're 17, but i'd rather be sure than risk being some random and tragic case. Maybe i'm overanalyzing again, but does anyone else have big lymph node(s) that don't really get bigger or smaller? btw this is hard but isn't sensitive to the touch. One last thing, i'm in perfect health, so I know that this isn't a result of a cold or the flu.

Hey,
    It's great to hear you are doing so much better. I've wondered about celexa for myself and have thought about asking my GP about it. Did you experience any side effects? Anyway, about the glands in your neck, usually(not always) lymphoma is not painful to the touch. What is though are viruses that don't necessarily make you sick but can enlarge the lymph nodes and make them tender. Sometimes being caused by the Epstein Barr virus, for instance Mono. A simple CBC blood test will show if you have elevated white blood cells, and lymphocytes which can be indications for further testing. I think you have a legitimate complaint but I doubt very seriously it is something as serious as lymphoma. Hope this helps.
    Good Luck,
    Terri

Hi
    Yes some people to have nodes in their body which are bigger than other nodes, and some people have nodes in their body which are permanently enlarged if only slightly and this is nothing to worry about.... Your doctor would be able to tell you with palpation whether your node felt the way a node should do if its healthy and doing its job, this is nice and round and smooth and firm, remember that our bodies are mot symetrical and therefor we have things on one side bigger than the other, go see your doctor, get your node palpated and get your bloods checked.... only to alley your anxiety, a simple blood test will put your mind at ease

I just want my life back
    nell
    x

anybody else got any advice? nell really helped, momof2 kinda made it worse, but thanks for trying anyway [)]

I have got one of those lumps as well and I can feel that it is hard and squish it around. However I do have a sore throat at the moment so I am not surprised it is there.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Have you seen a doctor atall?

Nicola

If they have been up and larger than usual for 2 months then it is wise to get them looked at.

I've not got lymphoma in mind but some much more common and transient complaints.

I think Mum has a valid point - mono is far more common in your age group than lymphoma, but you don't say that you're feeling ill with these glands and a single symptom means nothing medically, its the whole clinical picture that gets assessed.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry,
    I never intended to make your worries more concerning, I just wanted you to know there are very many things (non-life threating, I might add) that cause enlarged lymph nodes not only things as serious as cancer. My brother for instance, had enlarged lymph nodes in many parts of his body was caused by a virus, but he never felt sick. Also talked to a friend just recently about her 4yo with the exact symptoms and again was caused by a virus. Only your doctor can determine the exact cause and I'm sure a visit to him will settle your mind. Again I'm sorry to cause more concern. I certainly know how a person with anxiety (such as myself) can worry over things.

((((HUGS))))
    Terri Lynn

sorry momof2, i didn't mean to offend, i was just a bit upset at the time i posted that. i know you were trying to do all you could to help, and funnily enough, i noticed today that the offending lymph node is now about 1/2 the size it used to be! what a coincidence

No offense taken, hon. I'm glad to hear the nodes are shrinking that's a great sign. Hope all is well and you have a wonderful thanksgiving.
    Terri Lynn

Your lymph nodes swell for all kinds of reasons from having a few bad teeth to ear problems are the most problem with them in your neck and as well in your arm pits etc i wouldnt worry to much!!!They can even get big in the growing area as well just from a simple cat scratch are cut!! i have had my swell in my arm pit and in my neck and my growing and they went back down after awhile if they are hard and hurt a warm wash cloth helps with the pain..See i was in your boat about ten years ago when mine was sore and hard in my growing area for a month and with my axiety i have i freaked out thinking i had somthing bad like hiv are cancer but all in all it was just from a simple cut!!!Your left side of your lymph nodes are always bigger than your right so keep that in mind as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information