Thread: Many attacks a day

Many attacks a day

Hi everyone,

I recently found this site while trying to calm myself during a large panic attack. I have been dealing with high anxiety for years, but just recently have been dealing with HORRIBLE panic attacks. My doctors have told me that my body creates too much adrenaline, which is also triggering anxiety attacks. However, recently, my panic attacks have been destablizing. I was put on Paxil to prevent the attacks, however, I had a horrible reaction to it. I became very ill and it triggered an even worse panic attack. This was just a week ago, ever since, I have had several attacks a day. Particulary starting out when I first wake up, and in the evening. I've been noticing just over the course of the last week, I'm starting to avoid situations and places for fear of one happening. I have been perscribed xanax now to calm me while I'm having one. During the attacks I'm very nauses, chest pains, cold sweats, shaking, dizzy. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm yourself enough when I first feel the signs that I can begin to stop them? I can't handle living like this everyday, it's such an inconvience! Please Help! [V]

When I was at my most actute I felt like you do and spent a lot of time running away from myself, in a bid to avoid having another.

Have a good rummage around the site as there are some good pages of advice here.

One of the best things I can say to you, is, if you haven't managed to distract yourself with other techniques then just let the panic come, imagine it as a river or wave and let it wash over you and pass along its way. You may feel numb with terror for a second or two but it will pass.

The worst thing we can do is try to run from it, whether that be physically or mentally and I have found whenever I have the courage to adopt this attitude it passes so much quicker. So slump and drop your shoulders while its happening and if you are walking then slow your walk down and let it pass.

trac67 says to think of it like a bully and if you act like you're not bothered it will eventually get bored and give up - I like that analogy and try to remember it when I feel panicky.

You are not alone mate we are all dealing with this at various stages.

All the best.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hello and welcome

So are you SSRI free then and just on xanax ?

If you haven't read a Claire weekes book - get one.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

The Battle that Rages in my Head

Strategies for coping
    Some of my symptoms and explinations.
    very strange panic attack symptoms
    Actute Anxiety,given ZISPIN ???? HELP

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of great advice here and make some good friends.

As Piglet said I do think of it as a bully, someone trying to control me, but if you stand tall and remain focused, and refuse to let it start to control you, it really does begin to give up and go away. (Glad it helps you Piglet ).

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat anytime.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi

Are you still taking the Paxil - otherwise known as Seroxat or Paroxetine. You could be having a reaction to the medication. How long have you been taking it? Seroxat can cause the anxiety to get much worse. If you've been taken off it all well and good.

The advice given above about letting the panic come over you liike a wave is excellent advice - in fact I'm just about to print it out. This site will be a real friend and support to you so just keep visiting.

Wishing you peace - anxiety is a horrible horrible thing and I'm sure it's a test of our courage.

Yvonne

Y Goble

hi

i know how you feel. the worry of the bad effects of the tabs has made you worry more now which would explain the attacks now. like the other advise given try and distract yourself, but if not, again just let it happen. try not to run from it. the more this happens and the more your face it, it will become easier. we are all here to support you.

my thoughts are with you as it is not easy. xxx

lin x

Well, it turns out I'm allergic to Paxil. So, I shall start trying Xanax, has anyone tried that before? I'm somewhat afraid I'll have the same reaction to it as I did Paxil. Thanks for all of your responses, this site is already helping me deal and understand my panic attacks.

Thread Information