Thread: Why Exercise WORKS!

Why Exercise WORKS!

Stress and anxiety
    Benefits of exercise

STRESS Increases blood pressure
    EXCERCISE Lowers blood pressure by stretching then relaxing muscles and blood vessels

STRESS: Increases resting heart rate
    EXCERCISE: Lowers heart rate because of a strengthened heart muscle which delivers blood more efficiently

STRESS: Increases stomach and digestive problems
    EXCERCISE: Reduces colon cancer because regular exercise regulates the digestive system

STRESS: Causes shallow and sometimes rapid breathing (which can cause dizziness or lightheadedness)
    EXERCISE: Regulates breathing and strengthens the circulatory system and lungs. Slower and more regulated breathing helps to reduce and even eliminate dizziness and lightheadedness.

STRESS: Is known to cause diabetes and other blood sugar fluctuations such as hyper and hypo-glycemia
    EXCERCISE: Controls blood sugar, and is important for diabetics and those with fluctuations of blood sugar by improving glucose tolerance and reduces insulin resistance

STRESS: Increases cholesterol
    EXCERCISE: Lowers cholesterol because exercise increases the ratio of good cholesterol (HDL) to bad cholesterol (LDL) and also lowers triglycerides.

STRESS: Increases physical and emotional stress
    EXCERCISE: Has been shown to alleviate anxiety and depression

STRESS: Increases and sustains muscle tension, twitching and pain
    EXERCISE: Reduces overall muscle tension which reduces and eliminates twitching and pain

STRESS: Causes headaches and neck tension which can sometimes lead to dizziness and lightheadedness
    EXERCISE: Stretching exercises can help to reduce the build up of muscle tension in the scalp and neck

STRESS: Depresses the immune system making you more susceptible to flus, colds and viruses
    EXERCISE: Improves the immune system and makes it more resilient

STRESS: Slows down or speeds up the body's digestive system
    EXERCISE: Regulates the body's digestive system and eliminary tract, and helps to curb bloating by increasing perspiration

STRESS Disrupts sleep patterns
    EXERCISE: Improves sleep because your muscles are more relaxed and because aerobic exercise increases the level of serotonin in the brain which helps with the onset of sleep

STRESS: Makes you feel tired and fatigued
    EXERCISE Increases your energy

STRESS: Diminishes your overall health
    EXERCISE: Improves your overall health

STRESS: Depresses your moods and emotions
    EXERCISE: Improves your moods and emotions, and sense of well being because exercise increases the release of endorphins for 90 to 120 minutes after a workout.

STRESS: Can bring on dizziness or lightheadedness
    EXCERCISE: Increased ability to manage oxygen helps to keep the oxygen and CO2 levels balanced in the blood

STRESS: Increases sensitivity to lactic acid build up, which has been shown to cause panic attacks
    EXERCISE: Increases the body's threshold for lactic acid accumulation

STRESS: Diminishes self-esteem and self-worth
    EXERCISE: Increases a positive self image and self-esteem

STRESS: Can bring on migraine headaches
    EXERCISE: Helps to prevent migraine headaches

STRESS: Can increase the rate of aging
    EXERCISE: Dramatically slows down the aging process

I think exercise is one of the most important keys to alleviating stress and anxiety! I got this off a site called anxietycentre.

"This too, shall pass"

What a great post!!

I had just got off my rebounder (mini trampolene) feeling glowing when I read this post, so it made me smile.

Totally agree with it all - I've had this rebounder since mid August and jump around on it for 15 mins most days and I have definately noticed a difference in my fitness levels.

I also like it as I see it as a way to burn off the excess adrenaline I have.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Ive definately noticed a difference since joining the gym, I dont feel normal but a lot more relaxed and have a sense of achievement after.

Brilliant post though.

thanks.

Thanks for this - Great !

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

this is great Chellebelle, no excuses for me now, I will start the exercise in the morning, straight after my mars bar lol, no seriously I will. That info is really helpful, I gonna print it out and put it up. Thankyou. Sus, xx

I particularly like the bit about "reversing the aging process" - i'm only 23, but starting to worry about iminent wrinkles!!! LOL

I've just had 2 huge pieces of carrot cake (complete with extremely fattening cream cheese icing)! - but it has carrots, so i'm telling myself it's healthy!!!![Sigh...]

"This too, shall pass"

Thread Information