Thread: My story....

My story....

I’ve been having some weird health issues over the past week or so.
    It started with a very short period of a fast pulse/light headedness last Friday night – it lasted for about half an hour. I wasn’t short of breath and haven’t been through all of this.
    The next night I was attending a party and while waiting to meet friends beforehand, I had the same experience – except this lasted on and off for about 6 hours. I sat on a settee for the duration of the party and drank nothing but water. It was scary and was probably only denial/wishful thinking that stopped me from attending casualty.

The next day I was ok, but not 100% (no further episodes).

On Monday, at about 9.30pm I had a similar occurrence and went straight to A&E. My ECG was normal, bloods (U&E’s, cardiac enzymes) also normal. The next day I went to my GP and she ordered some more bloods which have been taken (namely Thyroid function test) and also an Echocardiogram and a 24 hour cardiac tape. I’ve been informed that these won’t be done for 6 weeks.

I’m no longer having episodes of a fast pulse, but have had tingling in both arms on & off and some heaviness in my chest. I usually wake up feeling quite ‘normal’ in the mornings and then these symptoms slowly get worse. It's like the whole fight/flight response but without the racing pulse. I have a massive feeling of dread and feel like the world is on my shoulders, but at the same time recognise that it's not 'me'.

I’ve stopped drinking coffee (not that I drank that much), have recently given up smoking (early December) and haven’t touched alcohol since last Friday.

A friend of mine has had panic attacks and seems to think that this might be what I’m experiencing. I lost my Dad last year and it’s also my first Christmas away from my family for 6 years. These haven’t been in my conscious, but a friend asked me today if I had ever had counselling related to my Father’s death….and I lost it (I literally sobbed).

I’m not sure if my reaction was related to her question, or merely a release of emotion related to the anxiety I’m feeling about my health right now.

I phoned for another appointment to see my GP as I feel that she was concentrating mainly on my heart when there might be more going on. I can’t get an appointment to see her until Christmas Eve.

Does anyone think that anxiety could be the cause of all of this?

Re: My story....

Quote Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
    Does anyone think that anxiety could be the cause of all of this?
    Yes.

I don't know if you have a long history of anxiety or all the symptoms have just started a few weeks ago as you mentioned, but just the fact that you lost your father, you'll be without your family at Xmas and you recently gave up smoking can cause a big underlying (maybe subconscious) stress.
    I think that is enough to have the sensations you explained.

However, I am sure it will be ruled out for you when you see your doctor, I know it is not easy to wait and go through Xmas not knowing for sure what's going on with you, but I am sure everything will turn out just fine!

Hope you'll feel better soon & take care,

Zsofi

Hello,

First of all, sorry about your dad. It's early days for you and you will still be grieving. I know others who have suffered from anxiety symptoms after the death of a parent. Who wouldn't, they are a huge part of our lives and it's heart-breaking. Yes, your symptoms do sound like anxiety but for goodness sake you are only human - no coffee, no cigarettes, no alcohol - stop being so hard on yourself!! Stopping smoking is great, but it's T.L.C. you need, not a punishing abstinence regime!! It's good you are going back to your doctor. I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you that nothing serious is wrong and that it's anxiety causing your symptoms. Through time you'll feel better, and this site will comfort you because there are people here who are feeling or have felt like you do. Take care.
    Myra

Hello,
    Thank you both for your kind responses, I really do appreciate it. I've generally been feeling better over the last couple of days, apart from a strange 'buzzing' feeling in my abdomen (which I'm sure is nerve related).

I ventured out for a meal last night with a friend, after feeling really good all day, but whilst out I had increased pin & needles/tingling and some 'butterflies' in my chest.

The fact that these symptoms only came about after leaving the house has almost cemented in my mind that this really is anxiety rather than anything cardiac.

To answer Zsofi - this is literally the first time I've ever experienced such an extreme physical reaction to something that isn't actually physical. I've always been a 'worrier' so to speak, but have always coped. Maybe what's happening now has always been a possibility and recent events have been enough to push my coping mechanisms beyond their breaking point.

Thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
    Maybe what's happening now has always been a possibility and recent events have been enough to push my coping mechanisms beyond their breaking point.
    I think you can see your current situation crystal clear and I agree with you, probably that's what happened.

I am really glad you are feeling better now, keep it up and Merry Christmas!!

Zsofi

Quote Originally Posted by Zsofi View Post
    I think you can see your current situation crystal clear and I agree with you, probably that's what happened.

I am really glad you are feeling better now, keep it up and Merry Christmas!!

Zsofi
    And a Merry Christmas to you

Thanks once again Zsofi

Hi.....first of all I would like to say how sorry I am that you lost your dad, it has been two years since my dad passed away from cancer, he was also in his late 50s and it has been sooooo hard...it does get better though, the first year of grief will be blurry and weird almost like you were in a bubble for a long time. I spoke to someone about it, and it really helped to let it out....my anxiety is still an uphill battle but it does get better because you can learn what your triggers are i.e, for me it's people who are sick.....I'm glad that you are feeling better.....hang in there and remember that your dad will always be with you

Thanks Shanny, I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad - I guess I do know it will get easier, but at the same time I also know that there will always be a gap, as I'm sure you know.

I'm kind of lucky my trigger isn't sick people...I'm a nurse lol

Thanks again, I'm still amazed at the number of wonderful people in this world that provide support so selflessly. You're all angels.

Thread Information