Thread: sleep help!

sleep help!

Does anyone have any tips for relxing to help get to sleep. Ive been taking Citalopram for about 5 weeks now and it is getting better, but i still have anxiety attacks that can get quite bad and stop me from getting to sleep. I have Diazepam, but it only really makes me sleep for an hour or so. Im starting an anxiety management course at the end of January but until then does anyone have any advice for helping to get to sleep.

Thanks alot.

Re: sleep help!

have you trid lavender on your pillow its very good

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

What helps me, for sleeping is putting on my IPod onto a podcast. If I can't sleep, breathing won't calm me down. Distracting me by a funny radio show is the only thing that works.

Sleep problems can lead to more sleep problems. The main thing to think about is do nit worry about it. The more you worry the worse it gets. The human body will react as it needs to help you. If you need to sleep you will. If you cannot get up and do something. Avoid food, alcohol and coffee, tea is ok. Put the TV on and comfortable on a coach with a duvet for warmth. Make sure you re wqarm and you will find yuo will nod off if you absrorb yourself in the TV. I olften put on a dvd of a Tv series I want to watch for agees when stressed. The DVD could be 8v or more episodes and the next thing I know after watching for half and hour or so is the DVd has finished and I have had at leat four hours sleep. Ok if I need moore I move te dv to where I remember it nd gain nod of and get more sleep.

I also Skype freind in other countrues as I have no family or freinds in the Uk., I talk to them for an ohr or so and the next thing I remember is an email from them saying we lost contact and why cos I nodded off as I had some diversion with some real human contact I do not have housebound here in the UK. i even chat to people on the otherside of thee Wrold about football which I hate s a sport and it really does help. Take it from me as an old silly sod with Fozzy Bear as an alter ego I have done this for years and it does work.

If yyou have Skype or MSN private message me and we ill exchange contacts and I m sure you will soon nod off. Diversion from problems is the best medication we have.

God bless
    Take care.

If I can be of any help any time just message me.

Gordon

I agree that your body will sleep when it needs to. This is the advice my GP gave me. He told me not to worry about sleeping unless my daily life was being affected. Doctors actually advise that watching TV or going on the computer stimulate brain activity and prevent sleep. Although Fozzy finds that they work for him, music or a relaxation tape would be more beneficial in aiding good sleep.
    nic has given a link above to some really helpful information. I hope you find a way that works for you.

I find talk radio really helps when I can't sleep. I find the quiet at night means my anxious thoughts take over and there's nothing to stop them. BBC Radio 4, which after 1am becomes World Service, is probably the best. Put it on quietly so you can only just hear what's being said. I find the monotone voices talking about topics which are usually not that interesting really help and the voices blur and I drift off to sleep. If all else fails, you will become very knowledgable about current affairs.

As the previous posters have said, don't stress about sleep, your body will sleep when it needs to.

Thread Information