Thread: frightful bus ride

frightful bus ride

I just had an attack last night on my way home...I was breathing hard, sweating hard walking to the bus stop. When I finally got on the bus, my heart was pounding so hard, I was finding it hard to breathe...and was worried I would be found dead or unconscious in the bus. Worse, it was bumper to bumper traffic, there was nowhere to go...I took meds for my irregular heartbeat (which i am taking irregularly) and 2 puffs of my asthma medication. I didn't know what to do to stop the panic...I concentrated on deep breathing and eventually after the longest 15minutes, I calmed down. It was very, very scary.

I recently just went back to work...and I'm scared it's debilitating me again. The bus is my mode of transportation to work...and not just that, I don't want to be a spectacle at work because of these attacks. I haven't told anyone in my office for fear I would be labeled or worse asked to leave. But I don't want to cause delays or have special treatment because of the attacks.

I don't want these constant threats when I travel now...

Re: frightful bus ride

Hi Molly

Really sorry to hear how you feel. I feel like this in the car, due to me nearly passing out whilst driving. Cant seem to shift the fear, even as passenger. What does help me though in the car, is putting the radio on my mobile and putting earphones on and listening to radio 2, its quite calming.

I hope you feel better soon

Hi Molly

You are a brave person for sitting it out on the bus and yes they are trully awful. Honestly the best advice that I can give you is to be honest with people at work and tell them about your attacks. I am not ashamed of my panic attacks or my anxiety as its me at this time in my life and it will take the pressure off when you are at work. What you have to remember everybody is a small step away from anxiety and panic attacks. All it takes is the right circumstances to kick them off and nobody is immune. Next time you have a panic attack just feel the sensations and see if you can make them worse and by doing that you will see it is your body that is driving that fear. They will then become less of a nuisance and eventually all you will get is the first fear. My panic attacks used to occur because when I was anxious I used to hyperventilate, a well known trigger of probably all panic attacks. Have a Happy Christmas and a panic free 2010.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Hi Molly

What you have to remember everybody is a small step away from anxiety and panic attacks.
    Ron
    This is very thought-provoking Ron.

And well done for sticking out the bus journey. Easier said than done, but make yourself keep on doing it, so that you don't build up that fear. Good luck.

From 'Desiderata,' Max Ehrmann

Hi Molly
    Sorry to hear you had a bad bus trip. I suffer from panic attacks and travelling makes them worse. I have found that if I immerse myself in something like a book or doing sudoku, I tend not to notice other traffic and I relax. Just a suggestion - I know different things work for different people. Another person suggested listening to music, that's a good idea also. Please try not to let it get to you too much - getting on that bus is a big achievement in itself, so well done you!

i too think you should tell people you work with i used to be embarresed to tell people i suffered from panic attacks but when i had one at my sons school several other mums came running to my assistance and i later found out that some of them have sufferede with panic attacks and now when one of us is suffering we help each other and even other mums who dont suffer from panic support me when i have to sit through school church services or the nativity,so if you tell people you may be suprised to find a fellow sufferer or people who are sympathetic and even someone who travels the same bus route who will travel with you for morel support

Thread Information