Thread: Breathing and swallowing problems

Breathing and swallowing problems

I was totally freaked out this morning as I was trying to breathe. When I'm anxious I can barely swallow in fear of not breathing. My breath held for 30 seconds until I could swallow I thought I was going to pass out..think that was the longest it's done that for. It totally freaked me out is this normal..swallow and you can't breathe or it feels something holds your nose almost? The more I think of it the worse it gets like I end up struggling now..breathing..swallowing..Like it's a suffocating feeling and sometimes I need to hold my head to breathe without panicking...

Re: Breathing and swallowing problems

Good morning Phil.

It is normal for everything in your throat to feel as if it's gone into spasm when you are very anxious.
    I promise you that the muscles and nerves that control your breathing will not let you down, they work automatically without any assistance from you.
    I'm asthmatic and know how hard it is when you feel you can't breathe or swallow but what you need to fo is to try and breathe gently through your nose if possible. Don't "try" to swallow, the more you force it, the tenser the muscles will become..just relax your throat and your swallow reflex will relax as well.

I hope you manage to get some peace from the anxiety for a little while today.

Thanks.

Merry Christmas

And you.

Phil this is a common symptom of anxiety, feeling that you can't breath. I had it myself a few months ago, after many years, and I agree it's very uncomfortable, but you will ALWAYS get enough oxygen. Once you relax a bit it will go away. Try to concentrate on slow breaths.
    Merry Christmas
    Myra x

Thread Information