Thread: Anybody else get stuck on thoughts about going mad?

Anybody else get stuck on thoughts about going mad?

Hi there,
    my first real post really.

Been suffering from anxiety for the past 2 years now (its my anniversary in a few days! lol) Obviously I've had my good days and my bad. During the summer I am seemingly a lot better since I don't have to deal with the dark nights etc, but anyway...

For some reason, just lately, I've been obsessing over going mad. It sounds very stupid I know, but because of my heightened state of awareness, I always notice movements a lot more out of the corner of my eyes. It's rare but sometimes I'd be watching TV and would see a flash, a star out of the corner of my eye. I also suffer from bad floaters but only when going through stress and anxiety.

Now I have managed to get through all my other symptoms but of course when I notice things flashing in my vision I get worried... eyes are obviously involved in the nervous system as well and if it is under attack, you are sure to get floaters etc.

But with hypochondria, I start thinking its a precursor of a bad mental illness, as though those stars and floaters are going to get even worse. It doesn't help when I hear stories of schizophrenics and psychotics on the news etc...

So I guess my question is, does anybody else have these visual disturbances of floaters, stars etc? I remember a quote "Those with bad mental illnesses are unaware of their descent into it"... I guess the fear of going crackers is really trying to force its way onto me for some irrational reason.

Re: Anybody else get stuck on thoughts about going mad?

I get a great many visual disturbances which are more often than not related to migraine attacks.
    Having said that when my anxiety is at it's worse I also wonder if I am going mad.
    I just don't seem able to concentrate on anything and find myself very detached, as if I am not in control. This is where my fear of going mad comes from but as you have said, those who do have severe mental illness are unaware of it.
    I once told my doctor I worried about going mad and he said something alone those very lines 'no you're not, not if you're worried about it'. I didn't know what he meant at the time but after reading about mental illness it made sense.

I get all the visual disturbances that you describe and they are always worse when I'm anxious. It can be really scary, especially when I wonder if my blood pressure is high, whether it's a brain tumour or hallucinations.

I've learned not to panic too much now when I notices them and say to myself "it's totally normal and harmless" - it sounds ridiculous but eventually you will worry less.

T x

I have had them for a long time, even when i wasn't anxious. I see flashes of colour a lot too. I actually thought my eyes were broken or my brain was earlier on..Though i am more spiritual now so have my own explanations for them.. but i'm not sure a scientist or a doctor would agree. But then we are all different for sure. xx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Jellie View Post
    I have had them for a long time, even when i wasn't anxious. I see flashes of colour a lot too. I actually thought my eyes were broken or my brain was earlier on..Though i am more spiritual now so have my own explanations for them.. but i'm not sure a scientist or a doctor would agree. But then we are all different for sure. xx
    It's hard to describe but I 100% agree. When I started to get odd sensations like these other odd things started to happen in my life...

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Tomimo View Post
    I get all the visual disturbances that you describe and they are always worse when I'm anxious. It can be really scary, especially when I wonder if my blood pressure is high, whether it's a brain tumour or hallucinations.

I've learned not to panic too much now when I notices them and say to myself "it's totally normal and harmless" - it sounds ridiculous but eventually you will worry less.

T x
    Good point, and I guess its an educational thing, where I really find out what mental illness really is, but its hard for me to read up on it when this anxious!

Thread Information