Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Hi All

Im new to here... Been suffering from anxiety for years - Was on Citalopram for 16 months and have now moved over due to my weight getting me down. 3 stone on citalopram... Which worked fantastic for my anxiety.

I always focused and didnt care if i was fat and happy, as long as i was happy!! But then the weight started reallygetting me down and becoming a problem. Vicious circle!

I have been on Fluoxetine now for about 3 weeks and feeling really manic and low?? Only side affect really is heart burn... I felt like the citalopram really masked everything and worked so well... But then did plateau and and got really down again. I have pulled my hair out for years, only slighty, which stopped on citalopram but iv started again now... Will flu just take time to kick in?

I'd love any words of wisedom... All my love xxx

Re: Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Hi! I have just changed from escitalopram to fluoxetine and I feel terrible too. When I was first diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety in 2004 they gave me fluoxetine and the first few weeks were hell. Over the years I stopped taking meds and than another doctor decided to put me on citalopram, than on escitalopram. I now, going back to them, know that the way I feel is only temporarily so I reckon you should start to feel improvement very soon because you took them for about 3 weeks now and most people find the first 2 or 3 weeks are the worst. So, chin up and give them a chance! I hope to hear from you to see how you are getting on! Love Tami xxx

Hi Tami - Sounds daft but was so lovely to recieve your reply - Makes me feel like im not the only one going through this. This morning was such a struggle getting motivated and getting to work. But once i was here felt so so much better. Its the feeling of frustration and when i allow myself to get really worked up that gets me down. I think being off work over xmas has just added to my mood as really struggling getting back in to a routine. Citalopram really helped me, feel at the moment i am getting quite dependant on my beta blockers... Then as the day goes on i start feeling much better.

Thanks for your reply xxxxx

Loix,

Yes, Prozac has a habit of making you worse before it starts working. Give it time, say 4-6 weeks. You may even feel more anxious in the early days,but stick with it

Best of luck

Hi! I hope you are feeling better by now! I had a dreadful week! Was written off work for the week so I have time to sort myself out and relax and on tuesday, 05.01. our oldest dog got really ill and on wednesday we had to put him down. I feel so awful and the worst is that I am not sure why I feel so terrible! Is it the Prozac that is dragging me down in the moment, only have been on them for 11 days now, or is this just the normal grieving? I dont know and I am dreading going to work tomorrow, facing the world. :-(

I've just swapped on to Fluoxetine after 8 weeks of Citalopram was making me suicidal/doing naff all. I'm on day six of my Fluoxetine and I've noticed a total world of difference (ish). Compared to the total rough ride I had on Citalopram, Fluoxetine feels like a walk in the park. Obviously I'm not "better" yet, I've only been on the F. a short while, but I feel much clearer, focused and less... down than I did before.

I'm switching over this week from Citalopram to Prozac. Getting some big mood swings and am all over the place, manic and then very low within hours. Very twitchy/fidgety and can't keep still sometimes. Doc has given me Xanax to help with anxiety, I can recommend it to take the edge off, although possibly it is a bit too good, so one to keep an eye on. Regardless I am sticking with it and going to go to my therapy, take my meds and keep fingers and toes crossed. Big hug all round and hope we feel better soon.

How are you all getting on?
    Am thinking of changing from Prozac to Citalopram... don't know what to do. Such huge anxiety on Prozac.

i was on the stuff for 3 months made me 10x worse...

glad to see the back of it felt better about two days after not taking it.

However everyone is diffrent but dont leave it as long as i did if your not back in some sort of routine in 4 weeks its time to change...they made me housebound for 4 of em horrible stuff...

Which do you mean..... Citalopram or Prozac made you worse?
    Have now gone up to 40mg Prozac instead. Not too bad so far...but early days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information