Thread: Persistent cough :( can't cope now

Persistent cough :( can't cope now

I know I am such a pain in the arse on here lately but I'm at my wits end.

The fluttering in my throat which started 3 weeks ago has now changed into an irritating urge to cough. When I breathe I feel like I want to cough but when I do nothing happens.

I saw my GP today who said my thyroid results are fine so he's given me lanzoprazole for reflux, took one of them today and it feels worse. My throat feels a little dry and I've got a constant stream of mucus running down it from my nose. Sometimes I can hear and feel a dripping sound coming from there.

I have an endoscopy next week but will this show reflux? I get alot of heartburn too.

Re: Persistent cough :( can't cope now

sorry your still having a hard time, i googled throat flutter, but all that comes up is heart palpitations, the needing to cough sensation is also what happens when you get a delayed heart beat also known as a missed beat.
    maybe ask your doctor if you can do a 24 hour heart monitor test to 100% rule out heart palps.
    maybe if you explained your symptoms more? don'y know if that's actually possible.
    maybe try a cough bottle with codeine in it? codeine is great for a cough.

Hi Mishel

I had an ecg whilst these flutters were happening and they said it definately wasn't my heart. I'm just at a loss now.

I have an endoscopy next week so I hope they can see something.

You said you have a "constant stream of mucus running down [your throat] from my nose".

I had something similar 10 years ago, which gave me persistent coughing problems at the weekend, a sore throat, breathing problems and trouble swallowing. This happened about six months after I moved to London.

It took a while to get a proper diagnosis, but the docs said I had post nasal drip, as a result of allergy to pollution and pollen. You can get some spray from your doctor, which helped me. I found that having weekend breaks in the countryside helped a lot, and when I finally moved away from London the problems went away completely after a couple of months.

Thanks Darren

Do you think Piriton would help until I see my GP again. My throat does feel 'allergy' like sort of tingly and my chest and throat feel tight like its difficult to breathe.

I've not long since had a new damp course and all the walls were ripped out so maybe its the dust from that.

I already have childhood asthma maybe its making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay24 View Post
    Thanks Darren

Do you think Piriton would help until I see my GP again. My throat does feel 'allergy' like sort of tingly and my chest and throat feel tight like its difficult to breathe.

I've not long since had a new damp course and all the walls were ripped out so maybe its the dust from that.

I already have childhood asthma maybe its making a comeback.
    It sounds very similar to what I had. I also had panic attacks at the time as well, but they started before the coughing attacks.

I to had asthma as a child, and then grew out of it. They gave me an inhaler at the time as well, but I can't remember if it helped.

You could give the Piriton a try; I think standard hayfever tablets also helped me.

It could well be that you've had a reaction to the dust from the walls. I know a dusty environment sets me off within a couple of hours.

I have a persistant cough have had as long as I can remember Doc says its a nervous habit which I do more when Im an nervous which is kind of all the time so tend to cough constantly all day, I also take a lot of deep breathes to try and stop myself from coughing which then makes me dizzy and and so the cycle continues, people have often commented on me coughing and noticed I take deep breathes etc which is embrassing.

Has anybody mentioned asthma? I had a persistent cough for months and months and it only went away with three different types of inhalers and my GP sending me for a chest x ray. Ask your GP to do a 'peak flow' and take it from there.

Thread Information