Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant stop thinking about my breathing

cant stop thinking about my breathing

im not having a panic attack, but all i can focus on is my breathing and how it feels like every breath is pathetic, feels like im gonna stop breathing at any point. is this just anxiety because im not actually having an attack, and i got a stiff neck and tight throat to go with it.
    luke x

Re: cant stop thinking about my breathing

You know I had this problem once.. you feel tired of breathing in a way... good news is this anxiety does not last, you wont think twice about it soon.

Stiff neck and tight throat is part of the fixation and anxiety x x

Bowny
    I once went through this for months at a time. It is just anxiety...or certainly was in my case..the more you dwell on it the more you feel it and so it is a vicious circle.
    As joyce says the up side is that it does go away in time...you may not be in panic mode but your anxiety is still causing this so the more you can relax and try to think of other things the better. Take care X

Hi Bowny,

Keep yourself busy, it will take your mind off it.

I have been the same way lately, all my muscles are tensed up and it feels like I can't breathe properly and I am constantly checking to see if I can take a deep breath.

I have the same problem occasionaly. All I can think is 'breath in - breathe out' or I feel I will stop and suffocate. It is part of anxiety and occurs because your body is hyper aware, you become aware of every movement and feeling. Sometimes you will focus on your breathing. Best thing to do is distract yourself and remember breathing is an automatic function, you cannot hold your breath forever!

You've got tense chest muscles, that's why you have the suffocating feeling. It's not actually your lungs so please don't worry. You will always get enough breath. Just think, when you are sleeping you don't even need to think about breathing, your mind does it for you. I've had this symptom and it is really unpleasant, but it will pass. Try to take nice, slow breaths. It's a very common symptom of anxiety.
    Myra

I've been like this for months mate and I've hit an all time low but, if it helps any, i've been the doctors today and she did me a whole lot of tests and as far as she is concerned, my lungs are like race horses.

She is a great doctor and said it is nothing more than my anxiety.

Funnily enough, for the first time in months, I've spent the rest of the day breathing absolutely perfect.

Don't think if I'd got a serious illness that I would suddenley be ok because the doctor said so.

Being aware of your breathing is horrible as there is no escaping it...please...try to believe it is more probably a case of your anxiety.

Hey, I absolutely get this from time to time, and not because Im anxious, I just suddenly become over aware about breathing, especially at night if its quiet. But this does go away when you stop thinking about it. I usually stick a film or something on if its at night and Im in bed and I stop thinking about it within minutes. Hope u feel better

xxx
    xx
    x

Hey love.
    I am exactly the same.
    Last night I took deep breaths for SO long that It drove me mad, and made my breathing go all weird. Just try and breathe normally. It is terrifying. I hate it so much :(
    The only things that helps me temporarily is eating. Because i get SO transfixed on my breathing, that NOTHING can distract me. :( x x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information