Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

Re: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

I've got this horrible phobia and I've also been putting off going outside, (I now work part-time so it's easy for me to stay in, and only go out if I need to go out) its why I'm up at gone 3.30 in the morning, cos my throat feels a little bit weird, I'm too anxious too sleep, tight chest, the lot. I relaxed for a little bit by listening to music, but for some reason it flared up again. Deep down I know I'm not going to be sick, but I'm up and worried about it

Does anyone elses Emetaphobia flare up at night time? Wish I could get to sleep.

Smile Re: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

I also have this phobia and have had it since i was around 12 am now 27 i HATE bein this way as every little twinge, pain etc... sets me off thinking "am i going to puke" but one thing is i dont mind bein round people when they vomit or are ill and i can clean it its just me vomiting I DON'T LIKE i do have anti-sickness tablets (prochlorperazine) and they help me if am feeling bad but i mainly put it down to my panic/anxiety attacks as they make you get that sickly feeling but i just PANIC am going to vimit which i haven't for years and really you can go all your life without even vomiting once!! i have tried everything seeing all kinds of people for this but hey its still here i think i need to learn to live with it just like i have to with my panic/anxiety attacks but if any1 has overcome this i would love to know how x x

I have this phobia. My parents came back from a holiday a few days ago and my dad had caught a sickness bug and passed it onto my mum. My mum was ill from when we came back. Now she is walking around the house coughing EVERYWHERE and telling me, while I try to eat, about how she was being sick for 40 hours. I've tried to explain that I have a phobia and she really isn't helping, but my family are just like "well no one likes being sick" but of course, it's not like that at all. So I've gone all OCD with the hand washing and washing everything I use in the kitchen. Last night I couldn't sleep because I felt a little bit ill and my mind took over and became paranoid that I'd caught this bug. It's not as bad as last year when I had exams and 2 of my housemates got norovirus - then I was having panic attacks, afraid to touch or eat anything at all or leave the house.

I wish I could sort this out. I know it's disproportionate. When I am actually ill, like said above, I feel too weak to panic, I just want it to be over. But it's partly the fear of being sick in a bad place, like in public or in a place other than my bathroom, that scares me. As well as the horribleness of it all :(

Angry Re: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

Quote Originally Posted by unspoken View Post
    But it's partly the fear of being sick in a bad place, like in public or in a place other than my bathroom, that scares me. As well as the horribleness of it all :(
    That is my worst fear too! being sick anywhere other than in my bathroom!! so weird as its gotten worse over the years like i use to stay out round friends etc now i hate being anywhere other than at mine!! urghhh i hate it!

I'm exactly the same, I've not been sick for years (touch wood) but it'd be hell for me being sick anywhere else but home.

Martina DO NOT GIVE UP HUN. DO NOT THINK THAT IT WILL KEEP GETTING WORSE OR BE THIS WAY FOREVER.

Please trust me. I have been emetaphobic since I was around 10. I'm 20 now, and have had years of times where I have not even been emetaphobic. I'm talking like an 8 year period.

My emet was really bad when my anxiety was bad, I think one of the keys to helping with emet is to reduce or eliminate the anxiety - so that way we think more rationally and do not overanalyse everything.

When my emet was really bad last year with the peak of my anxiety, I was taking maxalon (metachlopramide) multiple times a day. Just in case. So I didn't have to worry. Now I rarely take it, even if I feel ill I still don't jump ontop of it and get it down as soon as is physically possible. What I'm trying to say is YOU CAN GET BETTER.

xxxxxx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyRachel View Post

My emet was really bad when my anxiety was bad, I think one of the keys to helping with emet is to reduce or eliminate the anxiety - so that way we think more rationally and do not overanalyse everything.

Omg u hit the nail on the head!!! i couldnt work out why ive been through years with no emetophobia and now all of a sudden i hate leaving my flat, cant work full time and cant sleep! all beacuse the anxiety is so bad!!! Sso therefore if i can lose the anxiety i can hopefully keep the phobia under control until i get cured!! Thank u!!!
    xxx

I have also been suffering the tourture of the sick fear for years!!! It has ruled my life for sooo long that i cant remember a life without it! I think that is half the problem. who would I be without it. I sometimes wonder if somewhere deep down my crazy mind is using this fear as a buffer, (I cant do that or go there in case I am sick, make a fool of myself etc etc, you know the score), in order to actually protect me from actually having to live life!
    Although I do want to live life I dont know how to do that without the constant anxiety which is now so engrained in to me its almost as naural as breathing. Hey presto back to square one!!! So ive decided to take a stand. Im sick (parden the pun) of feeling like this.So Ive given my sick phobia a face and a silly name, hes called picklehead. I can picture his god ugly face, hes green and slimy, a large wort on the end of his putrid nose, with terrible breath!!! Anyway whenever he chooses to rear his ugly head I now front up to him. I dont let him back me in to a corner. why should he, who is he to do that to me. I scream at him do your bloody worse make me puke my guts up, go on!!! And guess what he does, he retreats, because he is a coward that cant live alone he needs to feed of my energy and if i refuse to give it to him, he is not strong!
    I may sound mad, a person thats is ruled by a picklehead but its working for me.
    So what if im sick!!! Whats the worst thats going to happen. My body will do something it is supposed to do, I will have a bad taste in my mouth that can be sorted with nice minty mouthwash, I will feel crap for a few hours and more than likely develop a few more reasons to feel anxious , a few more scarey thoughts to obsess about but at the end of the day I will still be ok.
    I wasnt born with picklehead, he has grown because I have given him life. I feed him on a daily basis, he loves the fact he can make me tremble and lose sleep. He loves the fact that he controls my life and not me. He laughs at me. I wouldnt take this from anyone else so why from him!!! He rubs his little green hands together with glee when he makes me cry, but no more.
    Everytime he pops up now I laugh at him, a pathetic excuse for a phobia!! and he is getting smaller everyday. He comes through strong still on occasion, if im tired or at a low eb, but he knows this is the best time to strike and its a 50/50 battle but I will beat this ******* down and win. He will not win and he knows it, thats why he trys to come more often, he has taken up too much of my time already!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information