Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling overwhelmed

Feeling overwhelmed

My mum and dad had an 'open house' thing today for Christmas just a few friends dropping in etc.

When it was one or two people i was fine, maybe a bit quiet and tired but ok.

But as soon as it got to six people the noise started going up, the loud laughter, and i found myself almost panicking about it.

It really annoys me though as all i want to do is try and join in but i just find myself looking around in terror almost...

Just wanted to get it off my chest, have gone upstairs now to have a lie down.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

*It really annoys me though as all i want to do is try and join in but i just find myself looking around in terror almost...
    I know exactly how this feels. I went on a works night out on Wednesday evening and felt exactly the same. Not so much panicking but worrying that I didn't fit in and why couldn't I just enjoy myself like the others seemed to do so easily.

Christmas is a stressful time anyway though so just do what you can and don't push anything else at the moment. That's what I'm going to do... although I am having people round myself on Boxing Day so that could be a bit of a test!

Sorry I can't offer you any advice but like you said, sometimes just getting it off your chest helps. Hope you feel calmer after your rest.

Tammy x

Hello desperate!
    I know exactly how you feel! I was on the site moaning about exactly the same thing! You are certainly not alone with this one! I have been practising relaxation techniques that can be called upon in such situations. Its quite easy to relax when you are on your own in a quiet room but damn difficult in crowded/noisy situations. Not thinking at all seems to be the only solution! I clear my mind of all thoughts and conciously release all tension from my body. This really works but you have to practice! Think back to your childhood when you had no preconceptions of anything and all new experiences were just accepted. Going with the flow is the answer- somone on the site pointed out to me that life is a book yet unwritten (or something like that!) and its so true. Try and find the small simple pleasures in everthing you see, it will get easier!
    Merry xmas and Happy new year! Make it a calm one!
    Lots of love,
    fradycat

Hi Sarah,

Just wanted to say hello and hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Sue

Hi Sarah,

I can relate to your feelings too.

I joined up with some former workmates for a pint and then lunch on Wednesday. I got on OK most of the time, but unlike most of the others, I could not make it to the pub for any other 'refreshments' later. It just seemed too much.

I'm putting it down to Christmas, as I've felt a bit down an lethargic as well lately.

Maybe we'll feel better in a few days, eh?

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Sarah.
    Glad you have got it off your chest and hope you are feeling a bit better. I am exactly the same although i have to say things are getting better as they will for you.
    If I was asked what I disliked the most about situations I would say people in my space but i think its the mixed up noise.
    It is annoying that something which has been done before has now become a problem.
    You went and you did well so congratulate yourself on that. It will get easier.
    Take care.xxxx

love from Alexisxx

If I help one person today it was worth getting up.

I agree with Alexis, I'm not sure I like people in my personal space either, sometimes I think if I wore headphones in noisy places I would probably be ok.

Then again another day, another place and I will be fine. Go with the flow hun, you may not feel like that everytime, if you do then just excuse yourself for five minutes. My mum smokes and she always uses this as a reason to go outside every so often, not that I am recommending smoking of course.

I may start to excusing myself for a chocolate break or something!!!!

Merry Christmas mate

Love Pig xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thank you for the replies,

I did try going back down later but had another mild panic, the kind where you have to suck in air?! like a shock.

When everyone had left i then had another just watching TV, grrr!

I went to bed very anxious and have woken up today the same full of thoughts etc, my brain doens't seem to register Xmas even!!

Sarah

Perhaps a little grounding exercise may help here.

Sit in a chair and close your eyes (optional) feet flat on the floor and imagine your feet growing roots that go down into the floor and then to the earth etc speading further and further out. Do this really slowly. Its very relaxing.

Another one, this time for getting rid of anxious thoughts. Imagine your big toes are like taps - turn them on and let all the unpleasent thoughts pour out from your toes like water. Running on and away dissolving until they are just a trickle which then evaporates and is gone!!!

Love Piglet xx

Hee hee thanks Piglet,

I have heard of the tree on and do say that to myself when i am out and feeling off balance!

I will try the toe one too definitely! I might even turn it a bit physically to get into the flow of things! lol

Thank you and a Merry Christmas!!

Sarah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information