Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else absolutley PLAGUED with fear about this simple thing...

Anyone else absolutley PLAGUED with fear about this simple thing...

I am fully aware that BREATHING is a perfectly natural thing, that your body does for you.
    Its just that when I have nothing else to worrie about, my body automatically bring me back to thinking about my breathing.
    I cant actually stop thinking about it at the mo.
    Lastnight when I got into bed, It went very odd :/
    Like it wasnt proper atall
    Felt unrealistic because my breathing was so odd.
    Anyone else been so transfixed on such a natural thing... So transfixed that youve made it almost, go funny?
    Scared:(
    Kasha x x x xx x

Re: Anyone else absolutley PLAGUED with fear about this simple thing...

This is very common with anxiety. Anxiety can affect your breathing even when you have no other symptoms. Being aware of your breathing and thinking about it too much seems to make it worse, so try to relax and forget about it (difficult I know).

Have you ever had it where a word suddenly seems odd to you ? You say a word and suddenly it sounds wierder and wierder, and the more you think about it and say it to yourself the stranger it is. You've said this word thousands of times in your lifetime and it sounded ok then.

Well, I reckon this breathing thing is kind of like that. Your body does it naturally, automatically, all the time. Suddenly one day it seems odd to you, and you try and 'do' the breathing instead of letting your body just get on with it. The more you think about it, the stranger it becomes and the more anxious you get, you are thinking about every breath and you are no longer breathing 'automatically' but have tried to do manual over ride instead.

It will feel 'unrealistic', and make you anxious, as humans aren't designed to think about every breath we take, the same as we aren't designed to think about each heart beat. Until you manage to forget about it, it will feel odd and yes, you can make it seem very peculiar as it isn't something that would usually be focused on. Try some serious distraction if you áre able, perhaps something soothing to listen to whilst you are in bed ?

A couple of years ago, I was so uptight about things , I had been newly diagnosed with asthma etc. That I 'conscienscly' breathed in and out for 3 days. I physically made myself breath because I thought my body had forgotton how to. Absolut rubbish.

It is a common thing to worry about and I dont know how to fix that but at least your not alone.

Carys - I have had the weird word thing too. Glad it's not just me!

Okay, respiration is naturally an autonomic process just like the heartbeat. It is, however, possible to invoke voluntary influence over these processes, most particularly respiration and it is the subsequent sensation produced by such influence that causes constant vigilence in some cases.

The mind affected by anxiety is much like a vortex capable of pulling anything nearby into its influence and becoming central to one's focus or vigilence. Persons who become engaged in voluntary influence over their respiration process will subsequently feel the constant urge to continue voluntary control as though they are now hopelessly strapped with the task, the consequences of which could be dire if they relinquish function back to the autonomic nervous system. In other words, they feel as though they can't release responsibility back to the body and nervous system, but have unwittingly taken over with seemingly no way out.

Many times, such persons begin to sense restriction in tidal volume, or the ability to produce an inspirational or deep breath, which in fact causes certain stretch receptors to produce feedback that is calming in nature. In the absence of the forced ability to do so, some persons begin to panic that they cannot get enough air or feel that something is wrong with their respiration. The chest wall and diaprhagm become tense, which only increases the efforts to obtain an inspirational breath that largely must come by way of natural rather than forced procession.

Tidal rhythm also becomes largely affected and is very akin to one who tries to think about their feet moving while dancing, which inevitably causes reduced coordination.

Many such persons find themselves intentionally trying to yawn and perform changes in body position hoping to sense relief from what feels like the need to purposely breathe, a sensation that also produces heaviness or labored activity.

The sensation will diminish with time and engaging in activities which ironically require forced respiratory activity such as swimming underwater or blowing up balloons will subsequently reduce voluntary influence and normal patterns will return.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Carys - I have had the weird word thing too. Glad it's not just me!
    Sometimes I say a word over and over and the more I say it the more odd it sounds. lol It is a rare thing for me, but I think it isn't uncommon for most people, anxious or not.

so do any of you peeps know how to eventually get rid of this, or is it just don't think of it and time heals all wounds?

---------- Post added at 07:24 ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 ----------

and can you use medications on this ?

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 ----------

also why did i have this on monday, then it came back yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Have you ever had it where a word suddenly seems odd to you ? You say a word and suddenly it sounds wierder and wierder, and the more you think about it and say it to yourself the stranger it is. You've said this word thousands of times in your lifetime and it sounded ok then.

Well, I reckon this breathing thing is kind of like that. Your body does it naturally, automatically, all the time. Suddenly one day it seems odd to you, and you try and 'do' the breathing instead of letting your body just get on with it. The more you think about it, the stranger it becomes and the more anxious you get, you are thinking about every breath and you are no longer breathing 'automatically' but have tried to do manual over ride instead.

It will feel 'unrealistic', and make you anxious, as humans aren't designed to think about every breath we take, the same as we aren't designed to think about each heart beat. Until you manage to forget about it, it will feel odd and yes, you can make it seem very peculiar as it isn't something that would usually be focused on. Try some serious distraction if you áre able, perhaps something soothing to listen to whilst you are in bed ?
    I was just about to say the same thing!
    I'm sure if you focus your attention enough on a thing it can actually 'feel' different, like if you constantly focus on your nose or something (not that I have focused excessively on my nose, just an example...,) it will start to feel differernt or strange.

Ooh, my nose does actually feel a bit funny now, I wonder........

This seems to be one of my main symptoms of anxiety especially when I feel tense inside. I've had it on and off for last 6-7yrs and at one point it didn't bother me for about 18mths. I'll have it for a week or so or sometimes a few months where it's always bothering slightly then won't worry about it for months unless I have a stressed period. Last year I don't think it bothered me at all then this June it came back on and it's now bugging me again although for a couple of weeks I was fine but I know it's all because at start of year I had alot of changes in my life. It'll stop bothering me again soon and I'll feel fine just in the mean time I'll keep telling myself the same advice I'm going to give you and others have already said-

You will be fine and breathing is naturally taken care of by your body.

I do find exercise helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information