Thread: Feeling so worried, peptic ulcer:-(

Feeling so worried, peptic ulcer:-(

I was diagnosed with helicobacter on friday, after a blood test & breath test coming back positive. I saw a GP (not my usual one) and he said to just start ranitidine and to not bother treating it. I was suprised because my own GP said I would require treatment if I tested positive on the breath test aswell.

I told the GP on friday that I mainly have symptoms low down, like IBS pains, but occasionally get burning pain in my chest and back after eating. He said that could just be regular heartburn/indigestion. Over the weekend though I have had it after my meal last night. It starts just below my breast bone in the middle and rides right into my back, then today I have rumbling wind under my ribs. Silly me read up on helicobacter and now I am terrified I have a peptic ulcer I match all the symptoms and I am scared it means it is going to burst or bleed and I will die My mums friend died suddenly from a burst ulcer a few years ago, and so I am scared.

I am going to try and see my regular GP tomorrow as I am not happy with the GP from fridays plan of action. I know the ranitidine will treat the peptic ulcer if I do have one but I know that the helicobacter as it is active requires treatment with antibiotics. Does anyone know how many and what antibiotics they use? I am not good with antibiotics at all, I get very sick, the only ones I am ok with are penicillin and amoxicillin. I have had reactions to others in the past.

I feel so low and anxious tonight, can anyone help

Re: Feeling so worried, peptic ulcer:-(

I tested positive for Helicobacter in September 2008 and had the triple therapy treatment. It consisted of two types of antibiotics ( penicillin and Metronidazole) and omeprazole. I went originally to the doctors because I felt there was something stuck in my throat and I was worried sick about throat cancer. It turned out fine though. I still do get heartburn and a burning in my throat and pains under my ribs occasionally though - apparently it's all to do with acid reflux and it can move under the ribs according to my doctor. I had some more blood tests last September because I was concerned with the pain under my ribs but they all came back fine.

I would ask if you can have the antibiotics to get rid of the helicobacter if I was you.

Re: Feeling so worried, peptic ulcer:-(

Thanks Jan,

I am going to try and see my GP tmorrow to get this sorted out. I can't carry on feeling like this, I am riddled with wind all the time.

Thread Information