Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teenage depression

Re: Teenage depression

Thanks again for your additional posts. It is all very helpful.

My son and his dad went to the Doctors today and he reiterated loads of what you have all said. He said it is a quite a "normal" situation to be in and that he is an intelligent person who has fallen out of love with himself.

Loads of love and careful comments willl be needed, I think, and lots of nurturing.
    I think maybe, that because he is getting older that we have as parents tried to heap that pressure onto him too. You know the comments "you should know better at your age" and "you're nearly an adult". WHO WANTS TO BE REMINDED OF THAT, being an ADULT (LOL).

Thanks again, and ALL of your posts have reassured me and I have shared them with his dad and him, actually.

CHEERS ALL.

hey iv suffered from depression and im 17. i think all young people go through stages of feeling down. but having support from family is so helpful

that is a very interesting way to put it - 'fallen out of love with himself' - at first that seems like a stupid thing to say - but actually depression is exactly that - you feel low or you have strong emotions about something, or things just arent going well in life through no fault of your own, and the next thing you are your own worst enemy, you do come to hate yourself - i never understood that saying until i was well - depressed ppl beat themselves up - the key is finding ways to stop that habitual way of thinking - for me it has been mindfulness as taught by jon kabat zinn - anybody suffering i would highly recommend it - i have been depression free for 2 years now despite extreme stresstake care all xxxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information